Tuesday, June 22, 2010

By Their Fruits

June 23, 2010

Wednesday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

The king went up to the temple of the LORD with all the men of Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem: priests, prophets, and all the people, small and great. He had the entire contents of the book of the covenant that had been found in the temple of the LORD, read out to them. Standing by the column, the king made a covenant before the LORD that they would follow him and observe his ordinances, statutes and decrees with their whole hearts and souls, thus reviving the terms of the covenant which were written in this book. And all the people stood as participants in the covenant. 2 Kings 23:2-3

Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. Matthew 7:17-19

Piety

LORD, teach me the way of your laws; I shall observe them with care. Give me insight to observe your teaching, to keep it with all my heart. Lead me in the path of your commands, for that is my delight. Direct my heart toward your decrees and away from unjust gain. Avert my eyes from what is worthless; by your way give me life. For your servant fulfill your promise made to those who fear you. Turn away from me the taunts I dread, for your edicts bring good. See how I long for your precepts; in your justice give me life. Psalm 119:33-40

Study

The two readings and Psalm today seem to focus on study. The king had the book of the covenant read aloud to the people and declared that all would follow the precepts of the law. Unfortunately, obedience and fidelity can not be mandated. Such a pronouncement, while appearing good on its face, does not result in real change in the minds, hearts and souls of the people of Israel. In the end, they fail to abide by the terms of this covenant any more than they fulfilled the decrees of Abraham, Moses, David and the rest of the prophets. Knowledge alone is not enough unless it results in a change in our actions.

Jesus also issues a warning in today’s Good News. Beware of false prophets who say do as I say, not as I do. In the end, the actions of the leaders will reveal what is truly in their hearts. While study, then seems to be the focus, study can not be divorced from Gospel-based actions.

Action

Observing the rules (action) must follow study. Psalm 119 provides the key to understanding this message. Lead me in the path of your commands, for that is my delight. Direct my heart toward your decrees and away from unjust gain. Avert my eyes from what is worthless; by your way give me life.

This is a song promising real change in the direction that the author looks for happiness from what is worthless to what is worthy. Only by observing the way of the Lord will we get the gift of life. Only when we go to such lengths can we expect the Lord to hold up his end of the bargain (covenant).

What is getting in your way of following the commands of the Lord? What will it take to make the will of the Lord the fulfillment of all your desires?