Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Reflect in your Heart that the Word is with You



Reflect in your Heart that the Word is with You 

January 1, 2013
The Octave Day of Christmas
Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of God

By Beth DeCristofaro

The LORD bless you and keep you!
The LORD let his face shine upon
you, and be gracious to you!
The LORD look upon you kindly and
give you peace!
(Numbers 6:24-26)

The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the infant lying in the manger.  When they saw this, they made known the message  that had been told them about this child.  All who heard it were amazed by what had been told them by the shepherds.
And Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.
(Luke 2:16-19)

Piety

Dear God,
On this day I ask You to grant this request…
May I know who I am and what I am,
Every moment of every day.
May I be a catalyst for light and love,
And bring inspiration to those whose eyes I meet.
May I have the strength to stand tall in the face of conflict,
And the courage to speak my voice, even when I’m scared.
May I have the humility to follow my heart,
And the passion to live my soul’s desires.
May I seek to know the highest truth
And dismiss the gravitational pull of my lower self.
May I embrace and love the totality of myself…
My darkness as well as my light.
May I be brave enough to hear my heart…
To let it soften so that I may gracefully
Choose faith over fear.
Today is my day to surrender anything that stands
Between the sacredness of my humanity and my divinity.
May I be drenched in my Holiness
And engulfed by Your love.
May all else melt away.
And so it is.

Study

People have so many traditions around the New Year.  Eat black-eyed peas.  Spend the eve in prayer, listening to testimonials and witness to God’s presence in our lives.  Light bonfires to burn away what we want to leave behind.  Make a resolution for a new beginning.  Party!  Scare away bad luck and demons by lighting firecrackers.  Ring a bell 108 times to symbolize 108 troubles eliminated.  Traditions link us to deep roots of humanity.

For Catholics, sharing in the Eucharist for a world desiring peace bonds us again as a deep-rooted community whose God offers the Divine face to shine upon and bless us.   The Eucharist links us to our Holy Mother whose faith gave her a “yes” to speak and a heart open to ponder both wonder and suffering.  The Eucharist links us to the Kingdom of God which grows with each New Year in the piety, faith and action of the Church.

Action

Reflect in your heart on where the Word is active in your life.  Reflect on how you can bring the Word to life in new ways in this New Year.

No comments: