Thursday, April 30, 2015

“I Am the Way…”


By Colleen O’Sullivan

“We ourselves are proclaiming this good news to you that what God promised our fathers he has brought to fulfillment for us, their children, by raising up Jesus…”  (Acts 13:32-33a)

Jesus said to his disciples:  “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You have faith in God; have faith also in me.  In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.  If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be.  Where I am going you know the way.”  Thomas said to him, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?”  Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:1-6)

Piety
Lord, ever lead me in your way, I pray.

Study
Here we are in the fourth week of the Easter season, but we find ourselves back around the table after the Last Supper.  Jesus has yet to suffer and die, but he is looking into the future, beyond his Crucifixion, beyond his Resurrection, even beyond his Ascension.  He knows his friends are disturbed at the thought of his leaving.  Had I been sitting there with them, I would have been troubled, too, because I don’t like change very much and I’m not fond of endings.  I would have been very sad at the thought that life together with Jesus as the disciples had known it was about to come to a halt.
Thomas speaks for all of them when he says they don’t know where Jesus is going.  Nor do they know the way to be with him again.   Their friend may say he’s going to prepare a dwelling place for them, but how will they get there?
Jesus’ answer is simple, “I am the way…”  He doesn’t say believe “a,” “b” or “c” or do “x,” “y” or “z.”  Just, “I am the way.”  It’s about relationship.  If you want to be with him today and forever, love him.  Be his friend.  Immerse your life in his.  Open your heart to his love.  Follow in his footsteps.  Carry your crosses.  Live your life the way Jesus lived and died – for others. 

Action

When you have a few minutes today, reread the Gospel reading.  Imagine the scene.  What does the room look like?  What do you see expressed in the faces of the disciples?  Picture yourself sitting there, listening to Jesus speak after the meal.  How does it feel to be there?  Is Jesus’ promise of a place prepared for you comforting?  What do Jesus’ words, “I am the way,” mean to you?

No comments: