Wednesday, April 18, 2018

“Drawn In and Sent Out by Father and Son” by Beth DeCristofaro

“Drawn In and Sent Out by Father and Son” by Beth DeCristofaro

By Bearian - Own work,
CC BY-SA 4.0,
 https://commons.wikimedia.org/
w/index.php?curid=53672709

The Spirit said to Philip, “Go and join up with that chariot.” Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”  He replied, “How can I unless someone instructs me?”  So he invited Philip to get in and sit with him. … Then Philip opened his mouth and, beginning with this Scripture passage, he proclaimed Jesus to him. As they traveled along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “Look, there is water.  What is to prevent my being baptized?” Then he ordered the chariot to stop, and Philip and the eunuch both went down into the water, and he baptized him.  (Acts 8:29-31, 35-38)

Jesus said to the crowds: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. It is written in the prophets: They shall all be taught by God. Everyone who listens to my Father and learns from him comes to me. …  I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever, and the bread that I will give is my Flesh for the life of the world." (John 6:44-45, 51)

Piety
O God, I struggle with courage, humility, mercy, and belief.  Help me within the depths of my heart and soul cry “What is to prevent me from being baptized (anew)?” May I always answer “Yes, draw me to you.” Jesus, fill me with your living bread and help me proclaim you in good times and bad.

Study
Not until I was an adult did I begin to understand why I’ve always had such a difficult time learning subjects such as math and (although I love it) science.  My thinking and learning are not linear, fact driven.  Memorization puts info in but sometimes those facts sit there isolated and unusable.  History and, of course, literature, was better because there were stories about people, motivations, actions.  My learning best comes through observations, intuitions, interactions.  Big lessons in life often come to all of us this way.  Learning how precious is life through the birth of a child.  Acquiring the courage to swallow pride and take that first step toward reconciliation after an estranged friend dies causing us to lose a chance.  Speaking up for truth against prevailing culture when injustice slaps our own loved ones in the face.  In the readings this week the Apostles are learning, experientially, the Risen Christ.

In Acts, there are scenes of chaos, fear, and opposition but also a celebration and energetic, dawning comprehension.  We witness the Apostles standing strong in their deepening understanding of the calm, holy words which Jesus shared with them and we read in the Gospels.  They are becoming more rooted and thus not only able to respond to Jewish leaders but also to spread their words into the Gentile world.  They begin to understand that Jesus revealed God’s plan involves all who would learn and accept him as sent by God to be living bread for the life of the world.

Action
Finally! I am thankful for the manner in which I learn because it has afforded me gifts.  In accepting that Jesus loves and instructs us then we can learn: vulnerability which allows us to listen to others, humility allows us to be present to the pain of others and brutal honesty opens us to forgiveness, courage permits us to make changes for others’ sake rather than our own.  Rooted in God’s graces we can stand firm as the Apostles did even in the midst of trials.
How is Jesus instructing us today?  Pray for the wisdom and perception to hear his voice.  How will we proclaim Jesus today?

Illustration:  A stained glass diptych showing the baptisms of the Ethiopian eunuch by St. Philip the Evangelist and of Jesus Christ by St. John the Baptist, from the Cathedral of the Incarnation (Garden City, New York).



No comments: