Monday, May 21, 2018

“Whoever Receives One Child” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

“Whoever Receives One Child” by Melanie Rigney

Where do the wars and where do the conflicts among you come from? Is it not from your passions that make war within your members? You covet but do not possess. You kill and envy but you cannot obtain; you fight and wage war. You do not possess because you do not ask. You ask but do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. Adulterers! Do you not know that to be a lover of the world means enmity with God? Therefore, whoever wants to be a lover of the world makes himself an enemy of God. (James 4:1-4)

Throw your cares on the Lord, and he will support you. (Psalm 55:23)

Taking a child, he placed it in their midst, and putting his arms around it, he said to them, "Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but the One who sent me." (Mark 9:36-37)

Piety
The Christian community welcomes you with great joy. In its name, I claim you for Christ our Savior by the sign of His cross (from the Catholic baptism rite).

Study
By NancyHeise [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons
I went to a baptism the other day (not the one pictured here) and was struck anew by the Lord’s amazing grace.

My friends and four other couples were there, babies in godparents’ arms, gathered around the baptismal font. Everyone was dressed up for Jesus, positively beaming. I think the babies felt it too; there wasn’t a single cry during the ceremony, not even when water was poured over their heads.

The deacon welcomed everyone, Catholic, Christian, non-Christian, and non-believer, and explained the significance of each part of the rite. He noted that while we are instructed to put away our childish ways, the Lord always desires us to come to him as children: trusting, open, and loving. While the deacon likely handles baptisms on a regular basis, his explanatory words, tone, and face showed how much he loves this part of his ministry. Indeed, a man I don’t know, standing by himself, turned to me three times and made comments along the lines of “This guy is great! He really means it.

In the end, the deacon thanked all relatives and friends for coming and said all of us, regardless of our faith or lack thereof, are always welcome at the parish. As I left, I noticed the man who had been standing next to me was several feet ahead, still alone. I hope he comes back.

Action
Next time you attend a baptism, First Communion, wedding, or other sacramental events besides reconciliation or Mass, welcome the stranger. Receive the child.

No comments: