Wednesday, October 30, 2019

“Willing, not Separated, from You” by Beth DeCristofaro


“Willing, not Separated, from You” by Beth DeCristofaro


Brothers and sisters: If God is for us, who can be against us? For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor present things, nor future things, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how many times I yearned to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were unwilling! (Luke 13:34)

Piety
Lord, help my unbelief to surmount my fears, my disinterest, any barriers I erect. Hide me within your wings of mercy and propel me to reach out in love to draw others into your saving haven. Help me not to impede anyone seeking you.

Study
Unwilling! Jesus tells us clearly who can separate us from God’s love – ourselves. We can choose, as did Herod, as Jerusalem chose to refuse the salvific safety of God’s merciful wings. How dejected Jesus must have felt with continued rejection yet it did not cause him to abandon his business: Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day, for it is impossible that a prophet should die outside of Jerusalem.’ (v33) His business was salvation for all, even those who rejected him should they turn around and desire the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Which means, of course, to follow His will while laying aside ours.

People often read Paul’s words from Romans 8 at funerals. They are comforting and consoling. They remind us that there is a greater good encompassing the loss of a respectable life or mitigating an unscrupulous one. These words also give us the hope that God’s mercy is there, waiting for the one who died but is available to us right now. How do we choose? Are we grateful for the gifts of beauty and community God gives us or are we self-indulgently seeking more for ourselves? Do we seek the greater meaning in the chaotic events of the day or do we sink into anger, dejection, judgment? Do we answer injustice and immoral systems or look away? Do we extend Jesus’ merciful wings through our own hands and arms or leave those in need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps? Are we going along to get along? Are we indifferent?

Jesus chose because he was so sure, so immersed in God’s presence that his human life could not be without God. We can also be as assured! God gifted Paul with sight; God gifts us also. But it takes a leap. When I listen to my inner voice, do I hear love or self-aggrandizement?

Action
How do I respond when someone rejects my overture of care or love? Can I sincerely pray for the other and try, try, try again?


No comments: