Wednesday, April 29, 2020

“I Gave My Flesh for The Life Of The World” by Beth DeCristofaro


“I Gave My Flesh for The Life Of The World” by Beth DeCristofaro


Then Philip opened his mouth and, beginning with this Scripture passage; he proclaimed Jesus to him. As they traveled along the road, they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “Look, there is water. What is to prevent my being baptized?” Then he ordered the chariot to stop, and Philip and the eunuch both went down into the water, and he baptized him. (Acts 8:36-38)

I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died; this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; the bread that I will give is my Flesh for the life of the world.” (John 6:48-51)


Piety
Loving Father, I did not know you, but I was yours.  And they do not know me, and I do not know them, but they are mine, and I am theirs.

Let no chasm, no river, no drought or storm, no war, no exodus, no border, natural or constructed, no device of man nor devil come between us or halt the love that burns within me, the grace that flows from you.

Let me think on no man unless I think joyful thoughts of brotherhood.

Let me think on no woman unless I think tender thoughts of sisterhood.

Friend and stranger, ally and enemy, brothers, sisters:  They are mine. And I am theirs because we are yours. (Catholic Relief Services)

Study
“Pieces of April” is a movie based around Thanksgiving.  It is a surprisingly touching, although irreverent, look at the family from the vantage point of a “black sheep” daughter.  April, who gladly lives away from her family, invites them to Thanksgiving dinner in her cramped, rundown apartment when she learns of her mother’s cancer diagnosis.  She is not a cook, not a team player, not even a dutiful daughter, but hilarity, reconnection, and ultimately love ensues as she finds herself forced to ask for help from neighbors and even her own family.

The movie comes to mind as Jesus explains the gift he gives of himself. Using such humble elements as bread and wine, he lifts them above nourishment and hospitality. Jesus elevates them to the mystery of Eucharist, visible, and tangible presence of himself.  And the meal becomes more than human need or enjoyment with friends but a sign of Church, Body of Himself, the community of believers.  As we are invited and share in the living bread, we go forth from the Eucharist to share our belief in Jesus, Flesh for the life of the world.  April’s divided family comes together in a messy, incomplete way but reunion and new life.  Christians individually share the mystery and the community, even with those who do not believe, cannot understand and reconciliation, unity, love prevail with our small, apartment-sized worlds.

Action
The Eunuch in Acts asked, “Look, there is water. What is to prevent my being baptized?” What stops us from taking the mystery of the Eucharist out into the world with us as if we still sit at the table with our Lord?  Ask for the grace to enter deeper into this mystery, which is unbounded by the lack of physical attendance at Mass.  How might we share the plenty of Jesus’ table with the life of the world?

Illustration: The Allegory of the Long Spoons by Sofo Archon,  https://denitsarp.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/irvin-yalom-on-group-psychotherapy/

No comments: