Friday, May 07, 2021

Love One Another and Bear Fruit By Beth DeCristofaro

 Love One Another and Bear Fruit By Beth DeCristofaro

 

Since (Apostles and presbyters) have heard that some of our number who went out without any mandate from us have upset you with their teachings and disturbed your peace of mind, we have with one accord decided to choose representatives and to send them to you along with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, who have dedicated their lives to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 15:24-26)

 

It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. This I command you: love one another. (John 15:16-17)

 

Piety

Help me, Jesus, to call your friends my friends even when they annoy me.  And help me not judge those I think are not your friends but to leave them to you.  Your love for me is so incomprehensible that I will bow my head and know you love them too.

 

Study

“I am the vine and you are the branches” said Jesus in Sunday’s Gospel.  His beautiful image illustrates the need to stay connected in him for life but also to be a connected part of a vibrant whole.  We each have a small role to play in a more significant living, sacred community.  Today’s readings open out that community; it is a dynamic group made of individuals “chosen” and commissioned.  We are appointed to “Love one another,” an order which reaches into my heart but also into the heart of the community of believers.  We are not solo.

 

Loving one another as Jesus did is a tall order.  When kneeling at Mass, gathered in a Cursillo group, sitting in silent prayer at home, it seems doable.  And then someone breaks a rule or delivers a judgmental opinion on people who vote with the other political party or any number of infractions both insignificant and substantial.  The early Christian community struggled with identity as its numbers grew.  Eventually, Peter, Paul and the other leaders declared that Jesus’ followers were not to be burdened with countless Jewish laws.  And perhaps this is a path for loving as Jesus loved.

 

“I offer this action up to you, Jesus” is a grounded position in which I can take my place on the vine of the community and share its life.  The mundane (read tedious or superficial) tasks of my day become nourishment for my soul and Jesus’ church.  With Jesus, I am comforted when hit by insignificant slights, obstacles, disappointments and they are no longer toxic.  And when I face seemingly insurmountable evils, injustices, failings or prejudices, I am raised upon the shoulders of Jesus and the community, no longer alone in my vulnerability.  Jesus has chosen me and placed me among those who have dedicated their lives to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and tasks us – in all our shortcomings and inability to love like him -   and bear fruit that will remain.  As someone who loves to walk in nature, I am awed at the beauty of his vine.

 

Action

Theresa of Lisieux, John of the Cross and many saints sought to be aware of themselves constantly in the presence of Jesus.  Today we can begin each new act or encounter with “Hi, Jesus, glad you are here.  I do this for you.”  When a challenging moment comes, ask, “Hey, Jesus, please do this with me” or “Jesus, do I ever need your help as I consider what to think, do and say.”  What a beautiful vine we swing on!

No comments: