Friday, June 04, 2021

There is joy and delight in God by Beth DeCristofaro

 There is joy and delight in God by Beth DeCristofaro

 

Before them all Tobit proclaimed how God had mercifully restored sight to his eyes. … That day there was joy for all the Jews who lived in Nineveh. (Tobit 11:17)

 

Praise the LORD, O my soul;
    I will praise the LORD all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God while I live.
 (Psalm 146:1b-2)

 

(Jesus said) “How do the scribes claim that the Christ is the son of David? David himself, inspired by the Holy Spirit, said:

    The Lord said to my lord,
    ‘Sit at my right hand
    until I place your enemies under your feet.’

David himself calls him ‘lord’; so how is he his son?” The great crowd heard this with delight. (Mark 12:35-37)

 

 

Piety



 

Study

This week, two friends of mine experienced deaths in their families.  Both families have deep faith that their loved ones are one with God, yet the sting of loss is not canceled.  In today’s readings, people respond with joy and delight to the good news of God’s presence.  These people are very well acquainted with hardship and tragedy yet find delight and joy in God.

 

Tobit suffered blindness; his son and daughter-in-law were in danger from a demon.  Their tale is full of suffering but also fidelity to God throughout all. A conquering army oppressed the crowd listening to Jesus, and he was derided and mocked by the temple leaders. Yet he could proclaim his relationship to God, and they could be delighted.  Jesus knew his persecution would continue, yet his trust in God would carry him through.  He would persevere in his mission to bring the Good News and (keep) my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. (John 15:10).  Those who have ears to hear and eyes to see experience delight.

 

Action

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “Snatching the eternal out of the desperately fleeting is the great magic trick of human imagination.”  Being aware of the graces of God in suffering is not magic but God’s desire to be with us throughout the good and the bad.  In my prayers, I hold up to God a hurt, frustration, or obstacle in my life and ask for that awareness of God with me.  In my actions, is there a person who needs the presence of God in me?  Consider how to be Jesus to her/him.

 

 

Illustration:  https://olmc.us/2018/04/12/gods-garden-april-13-2018/

No comments: