Friday, May 19, 2006

I Have Called You Friends May 19

Prayer
Choose. Dwell. Remain. Make a Friend.
Ask. Receive. Bear fruit. Be a Friend.
Serve. Love. At any cost. Bring a Friend to Christ.
Praise God for Love. Thank God for Friendship. Love each other for God. Amen.

Study

“I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. This I command you: love one another.” (John 15:16-17)

Earlier in this speech at the Last Supper, Jesus stressed the intimacy of our connection to Him with the analogy of the vine and branches. Today, Jesus zeroes in on how to achieve that intimacy. Love.

Be careful. Be very careful. This is not some kind of Hallmark greeting card sentimental love that makes you feel good inside. This is not the love of popular songs with Jesus singing some Beatles Top 40s hit like “Love Me Do.” Jesus was not envisioning celebrity love like it is portrayed and abused in People magazine or Entertainment Tonight. To live out God's love meant care for others at any cost. When one truly loved God, he or she was raised to the status of God's friend.

It doesn’t matter who is dating Paris Hilton. It doesn’t matter who was invited to the state dinner with the Prime Minister of Australia. Serve one another. Love one another. Become God’s friend. Return His love and share that love with others.

Action

How can you repay God’s love with your actions list week? Maybe by encouraging each other and our political leaders to recognize that God’s love extends beyond our boarders. Write to your senator today.

No comments: