Saturday, September 30, 2006

All the People are Prophets October 1

“Would that all the people of the LORD were prophets!Would that the LORD might bestow his spirit on them all!” Number 11:29

Come now, you rich, weep and wail over your impending miseries. James 5:1

For whoever is not against us is for us. Mark 9:40

Piety

God, source of all knowledge and true riches, help us to focus on our goodness for your sake. Take from us all that keeps us from you. Help us to be your best showcase on Earth. Amen.

Study
by Rev. Joseph McCloskey, SJ

http://www.usccb.org/nab/100106.shtml

The study of extremes can make a forceful point. Mark 9, 38 and following speaks powerfully to the question of bad influence over others and its punishment. My sinfulness makes it easier for another to sin. Conversely, my goodness helps another to be good. What I do in little things, all too soon I might do in big things. The point the Lord makes with the cutting off of a hand or a foot or the plucking out of a wandering eye seems extreme until he asks the question of what is staying out of Gehenna or hell worth to me. What good I am willing to do for the sake of Christ seems a question that is not as forceful as what I would be willing to do to save a part of my body. Once upon a time I spent a couple of months in the hospital because I was not willing to have my leg amputated. The question the gospel is asking me is; "What am I willing to do to save my soul." What I am willing to do for the sake of Christ is the answer.

If I do my best for Christ, there is no way I will speak ill of him. Our lives and how we live them is the best sermon we will ever give. "Speak always and occasionally use a word" says it all in the style of St. James. If I show you my good deeds, you see my faith. If I showcase Christ by my life, I will be giving the best sermon I ever will give. Even a cup of water to drink because we belong to Christ will not go unrewarded. Christ is the best reason we have to be a good person.

Action

All the people are prophets and I met one on Saturday morning. “If we truly want to obey Jesus’ commands,” said Fr. Stefan Starzynski, “then we have to do more than preach good homilies about Respect Life.” Fr. Stefan, under the inspiration of Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Andrew, is working with people in his area and beyond to open several homes for unwed mothers in Orange County, Virginia. They need help. What can you do? http://www.paulstefanhome.org/

No comments: