Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Lamb is the Shepherd April 29

Fourth Sunday of Easter

For the Lamb who is in the center of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to springs of life-giving water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Revelation 7:17

“My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand. John 10:27-28

Piety

LAMB OF GOD, you are my shepherd. Despite my human needs and desires – desires that you shared – there is nothing essential that I lack. You provide work for my hands, words for my mind, companionship for my life, and love for my heart. You satisfy all the basic needs of my family and provide a peaceful neighborhood where we live, safely, without fear, while suicide bombers and cars explode in the neighborhoods where you walked. Your body and blood restore me. Your words give me strength and your example guides my daily actions. Like the woman at the well, you provide life-giving water.

Yet, I stray from the right path despite this abundance. Even when I wander off physically, mentally and spiritually, you never stop walking with me. You send the Spirit to guide me and give me courage in the darkest days. Your rod and staff will fend off all threats so I will not have to resort to violence against my sisters and brothers.

Thanks to you, my life overflows with your friendship. With your protection, only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of this life until I will dwell in Your holy house for eternity. (Psalm 23)

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/042907.shtml

Who do we find on the throne of the king?

Is it a lion, the “king of beasts?

Is it a powerful and swift horse?

Is it the majestic eagle flying with power over all?

Is it the rooster, king of the barnyard?

No. None of these. We find the Lamb on the throne. We find that the Lamb is now the Shepherd.

We are the flock, following him, hearing his voice. We rely upon him for our very existence in this inverted world.

We can no longer see the actual signs of his work. We can not put our fingers in his wounds like Thomas. We can not visit Lazarus who was raised from the dead. We can not taste the wine of Cana. We can not watch him walk on the rough water of Galilee.

Jesus of Nazareth, this God-man, both son of Mary and Son of God, promises that we will never perish if we follow him. Yet, every day that goes by, the obituaries of the newspapers are filled with the names of people who believed and have died. How can that be if he promises that we will never perish?

Move to the meta-physical to understand the happiness-promise from Jesus of Eternity.

Action

As we continue with this Easter season, reflect on the meaning of the season in your life using the words of Reinhold Niebuhr.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

What hardships do you need to accept?

What complaints do you have about this world?

What needs must you surrender to God’s will?

No comments: