Saturday, May 26, 2007

Make Our Dwelling with Him May 27

Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire, which parted and came to rest on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues, as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim. Acts 2:3-4

There are different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Spirit; there are different forms of service but the same Lord; there are different workings but the same God who produces all of them in everyone. To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit. 1 Corinthians 12:4-7

Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. John 14:23

Piety

Let us pray: Lord, send out your Spirit, and renew the face of the earth. We are preparing a room for you in our house, Lord. This is the room where you will watch us as we keep your commandments. This is the room where you will watch us pick up our cross and carry it. This is the room where you will reconcile us to each other and to God and commission us to go out and preach to all mankind. Amen.


Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/052707.shtml

Where does Jesus stay? This itinerant preacher wandered through the desert, crossed the Sea of Galilee twice, preached to the crowds gathered on the side of the mountain, taught in the synagogues.

Where does Jesus stay? In the course of the historical life detailed in the Gospels, Jesus was always moving around. Sometimes, he was trying to avoid arrest and punishment, even death.

Where does Jesus stay? It was the very first question burning in the disciples’ hearts when they met Jesus. Staying implies permanence, settling down, hanging out together like friends. Jesus wants to stay with you – he wants to stop wandering and he wants you to stop wandering. He wants to settle down and hang out with you – you are his friend. I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. John 15:15

The next day John was there again with two of his disciples, and as he watched Jesus walk by, he said, “Behold, the Lamb of God.” The two disciples heard what he said and followed Jesus. Jesus turned and saw them following him and said to them, “What are you looking for?” They said to him, “Rabbi” (which translated means Teacher), “where are you staying?” He said to them, “Come, and you will see.” John 1:35-39

At the outset of His public ministry, Jesus promised his disciples that they would learn where he was staying. He invited them to come and see. Today, that question is answered. Jesus spells out the answer quite plainly and repeats it several ways:

I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you. John 14:20

Whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him. John 14:21

Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. John 14:23

If we keep his commandments, he will stay with us. If we don’t, he will walk away. Although he had performed so many signs in the presence of the Jews, they did not believe in him. That is why He sent the Holy Spirit to strengthen their commitment and ours to a life in ministry and mystery.

Action

Is Jesus staying at your house this weekend? I hope so.

One additional place you will find Jesus is at the Dominican Retreat House in Mclean where people facing serious illness are on a retreat. Keep them in your prayers and support the weekend with palanca and food & water donations.

No comments: