Friday, May 25, 2007

The Three Commitments May 25

His accusers stood around him, but did not charge him with any of the crimes I suspected. Instead they had some issues with him about their own religion and about a certain Jesus who had died but who Paul claimed was alive. Acts 25:18-19

When you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go. John 21:18

Piety

Let us pray: Jesus, your story is so much more than a nice tale to read or tell to our children. Your story transcends literature by giving us the Way to live. Although the words you use sometimes make the path sound easy to walk, the implication of following you and taking up our cross is difficult. Give us the wisdom to know the implications of what lies ahead for us and give us the fortitude to face whatever trials and tribulations come our way. When you tell us to follow you, give us the prudence to say, “”Let’s go.” Amen.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/052507.shtml

With two days remaining until we close the Easter season, today’s Gospel relates Jesus’ last instruction to Peter and reminds us how things have changed since the Last Supper. Here after the “Last Breakfast,” Jesus revealed himself to the disciples after the crucifixion one final time.

After jumping off the boat and swimming to shore to see the Lord, Peter was distressed that Jesus sought from him three promises of love and devotion.

The exchange between Jesus and Peter has all of the appearances of a Reconciliation between friends. There is not a long list of “sins” related to Jesus by Peter. Although we can fill in the blank there: “Bless me Jesus, for I have sinned. This is my first confession. I did not believe that you could feed the 5,000 people with two loaves and five fish. I doubted you when you had me walk out of the boat toward you. I would not let you wash my feet. I cut off the ear of the high priest’s slave Malchus. I denied you three times after you were arrested. And for these and all my sins, I am truly sorry for having offended you.”

Jesus, instead, undertakes an examination of Peter’s conscience and commitment. To atone for the three denials, Peter confirms his commitment three times – distressed that Jesus cross-examined him three times with the same question. Jesus, though, had to be sure that this was the rock who would build the church.

Once Jesus has this commitment, he then delivers the final instruction, “Follow me.” This too stands in contrast to that scene on Passover between Jesus and Peter. After Judas departed, Jesus gave the disciples a new commandment: Love one another. Then, this exchange took place:

Simon Peter said to him, “Master, where are you going?” Jesus answered (him), “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now, though you will follow later.”

Peter said to him, “Master, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”

Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Amen, amen, I say to you, the cock will not crow before you deny me three times.” John 13:36-38


At Passover, when Jesus departed, Peter could not follow. But Jesus said “You will follow later.” Now, Peter must follow. In fact, Jesus gives this instruction twice. When Peter attempts to get Jesus to tell him what is in store for John, Jesus doesn’t let Peter off the hook. Instead, he says, don’t concern yourself with the fate of another; your job is purely to follow me. “You follow me.”

Jesus gave the same instruction to Peter earlier. Simon Peter was not one of the first disciples called by Jesus. His brother Andrew was. After Andrew began following Jesus, he introduced his brother to the Lord. In Galilee, Jesus said to him, “Follow me.” (John 1:43)

At the beginning, Peter did not know what he getting into. He was a fresh recruit. Now, Peter knows much more about the implications of following Jesus. He was there when Jesus warned them what it means in Mark 8:34-35: [Jesus] summoned the crowd with his disciples and said to them, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it.”

Today, Peter knows it won’t be easy but he is fully informed and fully committed.

Action

Have you encountered your cross yet? Perhaps your cross is dealing with an illness or medical condition. Perhaps it is a failed relationship that you are trying to repair. Perhaps it is a special challenge or project that your family, church or community are trying to get started. Take up your challenge knowing that Jesus will always be at our side.

No comments: