Saturday, June 23, 2007

Blessed is the People that God has Chosen

June 25, 2007

Monday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time

by Beth DeCristofaro

The LORD said to Abram: “Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk and from your father’s house to a land that I will show you. … I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. (Gen 12:1, 3)

Blessed the nation whose God is the LORD, the people he has chosen for his own inheritance. (Ps 33:12)

Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you. (Mt 7: 1-2)

Piety

May I rejoice in the gift of faith you have given me, Lord God, and strengthen it by looking for you in every moment of the day. May I rejoice in the freedom you give me to seek your Will and not to judge others whom you have chosen in different ways than you have chosen me. May I seek you even from the desert for there I will find you. May I rejoice and be glad as you measure me with mercy and love.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/062507.shtml

God favored Abraham with incredible gifts including blessings or curses on those who interacted with Abraham. Abraham became a powerful man but God alone was, and is, creative power. It is God’s Word that creates not human words. It is through the generosity and Will of God that Abraham attained his status as Father of Faith.

The psalmist recognizes and rejoices in this truth. In the footnotes to the NAB: “The greatness of human beings consists in God's choosing them as a special people and their faithful response (Psalm 33:12-22).”

Jesus’ prohibition to the disciples is not to ignore actions which might be wrong or sinful. Rather Jesus warns that it is also sinful to indulge in arrogant conclusions and form opinions of others while ignoring ones own faults. Modern psychology today recognizes, in fact, that people are pretty capable of recognizing their own faults in others while remaining blind to themselves. Judgment comes from putting oneself first; mercy comes from what God has bestowed.

Jesus asks that we look at others and love. Jesus asks that we look at others and ask “what is God’s will for me?” If we measure with love we will be measured with love. If we measure with God’s will we will be measured with God’s will.

Action

It is so difficult to wear the lenses of love. Often it feels that the Will of God is counter to what I think I need and what I think others need. God asked Abram to leave home for a desert. What is God asking of me? Can I trust in God that I will find God even in the desert?

Christopher Scott Emmett has received a stay of execution by Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine. “Basic fairness demands that condemned inmates be allowed the opportunity to complete legal appeals prior to execution,” the governor's statement said. “The irreversibility of an execution and the fact that four justices of the court believe a stay is needed to consider the appeal warrant my intervention in this case.” How does this action bring Jesus’ words to life today?

De colores!

No comments: