Friday, June 01, 2007

One Question June 2

When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom. She came to me in her beauty, and until the end I will cultivate her. As the blossoms yielded to ripening grapes, the heart's joy, My feet kept to the level path because from earliest youth I was familiar with her. Sirach 51:13-15

Jesus said to them, “I shall ask you one question.” Mark 11:29

Piety
Let us pray: Jesus, as you travel from Bethany to Jerusalem, we pray to encounter you along the way. Prepare us for your divine test so that we are ready in faith to hear your question and answer it with all the love, wisdom and understanding only you can provide. Amen.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/060207.shtml

The wisdom of Ben Sirach provides for us much to think about related to our three-fold Cursillo challenge to live a life of piety, study and action.

Sirach’s prayer life yielded a close relationship with God. When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom. She came to me in her beauty, and until the end I will cultivate her. Sirach 51:13-14.

The life of prayer led to study -- great instruction and wisdom. In the short time I paid heed, I met with great instruction. Since in this way I have profited, I will give my teacher grateful praise. I became resolutely devoted to her-- the good I persistently strove for. Sirach 51:16-18

Yet, with the close relationship and blessing of wisdom, Sirach is not content. He submits his neck to the work inspired by his prayer and study. He concludes with an urgent invitation to men to receive instruction in wisdom, and to live by it, because wisdom gives herself to those who seek her; and for their labor, God will reward them in the end.

Submit your neck to her yoke, that your mind may accept her teaching. For she is close to those who seek her, and the one who is in earnest finds her. See for yourselves! I have labored only a little, but have found much. Acquire but a little instruction; you will win silver and gold through her. Let your spirits rejoice in the mercy of God, and be not ashamed to give him praise. Work at your tasks in due season, and in his own time God will give you your reward. Sirach 51:26-30

Action

Imagine you encounter Jesus as the leaders in the temple did today in the reading from the Gospel according to Mark.

What do you think his one question will be of you?

How will you answer it?

No comments: