Thursday, July 12, 2007

Shrewd As Serpents And Simple As Doves

July 13, 2007

Friday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

There God, speaking to Israel in a vision by night, called, "Jacob! Jacob!" "Here I am," he answered. Then he said: "I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you a great nation. Not only will I go down to Egypt with you; I will also bring you back here, after Joseph has closed your eyes." Genesis 46:2-4

Trust in the LORD and do good that you may dwell in the land and live secure. Find your delight in the LORD who will give you your heart's desire. Commit your way to the LORD; trust that God will act and make your integrity shine like the dawn, your vindication like noonday. Psalm 37:3-6

You will be hated by all because of my name, but whoever endures to the end will be saved. Matthew 10: 22


Piety

May all that I am today,
all that I try to do today,
may all my encounters, reflections,
even the frustrations and failings
all place my life in your hands.

Lord, my life is in your hands.
Please, let this day give you praise. Amen.

(Quoted from Creighton University campus ministry web site.)

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/071307.shtml

Trust until the end because God fulfills His promises.

In the Hebrew Bible, we read about the reunification of Jacob with this youngest son Joseph back in Egypt – a reunification which was promised by God.

The reverse also is true…although sometimes it doesn’t appear that way. Sometimes it appears that the “wicked” or those who do not trust in the Lord thrive. Eventually, they will get their just punishment. This is where today’s readings and psalm echo the verses from Micah 7:6-7.

For the son dishonors his father, the daughter rises up against her mother, the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, and a man's enemies are those of his household. But as for me, I will look to the LORD, I will put my trust in God my savior; my God will hear me!

The psalmist takes the formula for life one step further continuing the theme from yesterday. Trust and do good.

Such a life may not always get you fame and fortune. These, though are not what God promises. Fame and fortune is what God warns us against. Jesus’ discourse in Matthew 10 concentrates on the conflict between temporal values and divine values.

“Beware of men.” The outcome does not look good. They will hand you over to the people for judgment. We saw what can happen there with Jesus. With Abraham Lincoln. With Ghandi. With Martin Luther King. With John and Robert F. Kennedy. With Bishop Oscar Romero. With Ita Ford and Maura Clark. With Dorothy Kazel and Jean Donovan. With Dorothy Stang. They endured to the end. Perhaps God told all of them, like he told Jacob and Isaac, not to be afraid.

Maybe we are not called to give our life…just to give during our life. Are you ready to be ambushed by a God who loves you? If not, are you ready to be ambushed by the world which will hand you over?

Action

Today, Jesus invites you into the divine life and gives you the opportunity to respond. Trust and do good.

No comments: