Sunday, September 23, 2007

Light a Lamp

September 24, 2007

Monday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

“Thus says Cyrus, king of Persia: ‘All the kingdoms of the earth the LORD, the God of heaven, has given to me, and he has also charged me to build him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Therefore, whoever among you belongs to any part of his people, let him go up, and may his God be with him! (Ezekiel 1:2-3)

“No one who lights a lamp conceals it with a vessel or sets it under a bed; rather, he places it on a lamp stand so that those who enter may see the light. (Luke 8:16)


Piety

Great and good God, you have given me so much. May I follow through on all your charges to me today: to be generous, persevering, joyful and a beacon of your presence. Trusting in you, may your light shine within me so that this day all I am or do reflect to your glory. Amen

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/092407.shtml

Jeremiah acted like a lamp on the lamp stand and King Cyrus heard. His response furthered God’s word: he set free the Israelites who had been in exile. Take care, then, how you hear. To anyone who has, more will be given, (Luke 8:18). The prophet Ezrah responded. He is known as one of the great post-exile leaders, a new Moses, bringing the small, scattered Jewish groups into a full community true to its Jewish roots and traditions in spite of being surrounded and influenced by other, stronger cultures.

In responding to the Word, we don’t know how far God will act. All their neighbors gave them help in every way, with silver, gold, goods, and cattle, and with many precious gifts besides all their free-will offerings. (Ezekiel1:6) We are to be lamps to all whether to a sinning woman, a debtor entreating for mercy, or even a Centurion who is not one of us. For there is nothing hidden that will not become visible (Luke 8:17).

To the woman who anointed his feet, Jesus gave a brand new life! What hope and joy there is for me! But the reality is also present. Perhaps next week I will find myself being Simon-like, stingy in my hospitality and judging others. Or I could find myself calling in a debt, abusing someone else for their transgressions against me or society. Take care, then, how you hear. To anyone who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he seems to have will be taken away.” (Luke 8:18) I am free to choose. Which will I choose?

Action

“A generous and persevering response to the word of God leads to a still more perfect response to the word.” Footnote, (Luke 8:16) NAB http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/luke/luke8.htm#foot5

What is my response to the word of God? Be alert. Am I the sinner, reaching out in generosity to someone in need? Am I a concealing vessel instead of a lamp which perseveres in spite of the dark?

No comments: