Monday, October 22, 2007

Here I Am, Lord; I Come To Do Your Will

October 23, 2007

Tuesday of the Twenty-ninth Week in Ordinary Time

For just as through the disobedience of one man the many were made sinners,
so, through the obedience of the one the many will be made righteous.
Romans 5:19

Blessed are those servants whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival. Amen, I say to you, he will gird himself, have them recline at table, and proceed to wait on them. Luke 12:37

Piety

(Based upon Psalm 40)

I waited, waited for the LORD; who bent down and heard my cry,

The Lord drew me out of the pit of self-destruction, out of the swamp of self-pity, out of the gridlock of a selfish society.

The Lord pried me out of my car and off my couch and set me off in the direction of His choosing shaking the dust from my feet,

Happy are those whose trust is the LORD, who turn not to idolatry of the television, the I-pod or the Internet or to those who stray after falsehoods spread by Madison Avenue, Wall Street or Hollywood through MSNBCBSABCFOXTV.

How numerous, O LORD, my God, you have made your wondrous deeds! The Blue Ridge of Virginia. The rushing waters of Great Falls. The crisp light of an October sky. The cool fresh dew on the morning grass. The quiet smile of a neighbor passing. The laugh of the children. The happiness of those whom you bless abundantly.

Sacrifice and offering you do not want; but two ears open to obedience you gave to us just as you gave them to Abraham, the descendants of David, Mary, and the disciples. Holocausts and sin-offerings you do not require; so I simply say, “Here I am, Lord; I come to do your will. Your commands for me are written in the pages of the Hebrew Bible and the Good News. Please make doing Your will my delight and my only occupation; Place your Word in my mind, on my lips and in my heart!”

Help me not to be shy but instead to announce your great deeds to the community of believers and nonbelievers through my words and actions.

I make no secret of your enduring kindness to the community and your compassion for your awaiting servants.

All around are evils beyond count; hunger, homelessness, and poverty; unjust war and terrorism; rampant disease; greed; indulgence; ignorance; negligence and my sins of commission and omission. These so overwhelm me that I cannot see you. I cannot hear your Word. I am distracted from obeying your commands.

LORD, graciously rescue me right here and right now in this moment when I live! Come quickly to help me, LORD!

Put to shame and confound all who seek to take my life or to cheapen it. Turn back in disgrace those who desire my ruin or who want me to compromise my values for what is politically or economically or socially expedient.

But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you. May those who long for your help always say, "The LORD is glorified."

Though I am afflicted and a poor follower, keep my needs in your compassionate heart and mind. You are my help and deliverer; my God, do not delay! Amen.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/102307.shtml

Where am I? What will I be doing when the Master arrives?

As we read the stories in the Bible every day, we encounter the saints and sinners who ran across Jesus as he walked through Palestine 2,000 years ago. Jesus met people just like they were and accepted them. The lepers. The prostitutes. The tax collectors. The Romans. The Pharisees. He did not judge them. He saved them.

I dare say if Jesus walked across Fairfax County today, he would still accept us as we are. He might be shocked at our wealth and habits. Yet, He would teach and preach the same message he has been preaching all year in the Gospel of Luke: listen to the word and obey it.

He would arrive to have dinner with the used car dealers, drug pushers, advertisers, politicians, tax collectors, alcoholics, gamblers, couch potatoes and more among us. He would walk shoulder-to-shoulder with the soldiers and the peace protestors. I expect that He would visit our mosques, temples and churches -- not just the Catholic ones either.

In a society bent on self-improvement, Jesus would show us a way based on self-acceptance and service. “He will gird himself.” Literally he will tie his holy tunic between his legs for mobility, agility and protection. Fastening his garment in this fashion means he will not trip while serving us reclined at table. He will be in a position to serve us happily and readily and swiftly. Would He find us predisposed to serve Him happily, readily and swiftly?

We find throughout the Bible stories of people of piety like Abraham who turned to God in the moment of need and asked for assistance. Here I am Lord. Help me.

We find throughout the Bible stories of people in study like Nicodemus who sought out Jesus as the Pharisee he was in order to find out more about life in the Spirit. Here I am Lord. Teach me.

We find throughout the Bible stories of people of action like Mary who met God as she was and accepted whatever mission or request God placed in her hands. Here I am Lord. Use me.

None of them said, “Hold on Lord while I get to be more self-confident. Hold on Lord while I get a little thinner, happier, more financially secure, or whatever. They encountered Jesus as they were and were ready for whatever came there way.

Here I am Lord. I come to do your will.

Action

Today, in the moments that you live, how will you encounter Jesus? What will He find? How will you respond?

Live in the moment today. Relish each interaction as a way that you can serve God by serving others.

Don’t wait for some future moment. Do it today.

No comments: