Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pierce the Clouds

October 28, 2007

Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

The prayer of the lowly pierces the clouds; it does not rest till it reaches its goal, nor will it withdraw till the Most High responds, judges justly and affirms the right. God indeed will not delay. Sirach 35:17-19

But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, 'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.' Luke 18:13

Piety

St. Ignatius' Prayer for Generosity

Lord, teach me to be generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do your will.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/102807.shtml

Prayer is not like any other form of communication. Prayer communication is a living and breathing two-way message to Heaven. Ben Sirach tells us that prayer does not rest until “it reaches its goal” and the Most High responds.

Jesus not only told us about the “the necessity for them to pray always without becoming weary.” He lived it. He modeled this behavior for us. He prayed often and we see and hear His prayers in the Gospel.

Much of what Jesus remarks in the Gospels are stories directed to the disciples, the Pharisees and the crowds who gathered around. But we also see Jesus step out of these situations to directly address “God alone who is good.”

Jesus not only tells us to pray but also tells us how to pray. Just as he often withdrew to quiet places to talk with God, today, we see the tax collector who does not sit in the front pew but instead stays off at a distance praying, “O God, be merciful to me a sinner.”

In Luke 18, we encounter many other examples of people who seek mercy from a distance yet even from afar, we can sense their faith and commitment. Yet each of them reaches out to Jesus in their own personal fashion.

· The widow who persistently approaches the judge until he renders a decision in her favor;

· The children and those who freely accept the kingdom of God like the children;

· Those who give up everything and follow Jesus; and

· The blind man sitting on the side of the road seeking the mercy of Jesus.

Action

Have you ever tried to check out of a grocery store with a young child? When they are waiting by the cashier, they notice the display filled with candy and begin asking, begging, to have their favorite treat. They will not stop until they get what they want.

Please Mom?

I’ll get my homework done as soon as we get home if you buy me these M&Ms.

I’ll do my chores all week if you buy me these M&Ms.

I’ll eat all my vegetables at dinner if you buy me these M&Ms.

I’ll wash the dishes tonight without complaining if you buy me these M&Ms.

What have you asked of God with such child-like persistence? What message from you has pierced the clouds until God responds?

No comments: