Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sing the Goodness Of The Lord

December 24, 2007

Monday of the Fourth Week of Advent
Mass in the Morning

By Beth De Cristofaro

The Lord said…I will give you rest from all your enemies and when your time comes and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your heir after you …I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. Your house and your Kingdom shall endure forever before me; your throne shall stand firm forever. (2 Samuel 7:11-13)

The favors of the LORD I will sing forever; through all generations my mouth shall proclaim your faithfulness. For you have said, “My kindness is established forever”; in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness. (Psalm 89:2-3)

In the tender compassion of our God the dawn from on high shall break upon us, to shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death, and to guide our feet into the way of peace.” (Luke 1:78-79)

Piety

I rejoice in your goodness, O Lord. I thank you for your Word which gives Life to my Life. Be my Word in darkness and shadow of Death, O God. Be my Word in life’s joy and beauty, O God. Be my Word that guides my feet to peace, O God. May I praise you and bless you all the day long.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/122407.shtml

It seems to be a good idea: build a house for the Lord. But God tells David that there are other plans. There is a bigger picture, one that supersedes David.. The bigger picture is more stupendous than anything which David can imagine. It is bigger than we can picture. God’s loving presence endures forever. God’s mercy and promises to those who way “yes” endures forever. God frees from the hand of our enemies, free to worship him without fear (Luke 1:21). What more can I want?

If this is Advent, if Life feels complicated, painful, arid, God is there with us.

Action

The eve of God’s birth on earth! Stop, close your eyes, listen closely to a favorite carol. Let its words remind you of why you “wait” in advent. Let the melody resonate in your heart so that you may experience joy in the waiting and the blessed arrival. Give thanks for your life and for the life of the infant God who springs into human existence. Give thanks for faith which keeps you “waiting” in spite of dwelling in darkness. Give thanks for the hope which keeps you strong as you face the shadow of death in your life. Give thanks for a human God who walks with you in joyful times and tragedies.

No comments: