Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Light Has Shone

January 27, 2008

Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

By Rev. Joe McCloskey, S.J.

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone. Isaiah 9:1

He said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed him. Matthew 4:19-20

Piety

(Psalm 27:4-7)

One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek: To dwell in the LORD'S house all the days of my life, to gaze on the LORD'S beauty, to visit his temple.

For God will hide me in his shelter in time of trouble, Will conceal me in the cover of his tent; and set me high upon a rock.

Even now my head is held high above my enemies on every side! I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and chant praise to the LORD.

Hear my voice, LORD, when I call; have mercy on me and answer me

Study

We belong to Christ. He is the great light that shines amid petty jealousies. He is the love of the Father. He is the voice of God’s plan for us. Our destiny is revealed in him. The divine meaning of life has its voice in all he said. Our piety reveals itself in all the ways we are an extension of his word in our day and age. We are called to be his updates. Love has its finest moment in his death on the cross. His embrace is there for all that will allow Christ to be their forgiveness.

The call of the Lord on our hearts is forever in his love revealed in his dying on the cross for us.

Jesus leaves Nazareth, his home town and goes to live in Capernaum in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali, that what had been said through Isaiah might be fulfilled. Christ discovered what was expected of him through the prophet Isaiah. Our destiny is written on our hearts by the call of goodness that flows out of the victory of Christ over sin. How wonderful the fault that gave us God’s love in Christ who died for us on his cross.

Action

Lent is almost upon us and it is time for us to decide for what we will offer our prayer, fasting and good works. Perhaps this is the Lent that we will discover the joy Paul talked about in Col. 1, 24 when he spoke of offering his sufferings for Christ’s body the Church. All of us together make up the Mystical Body of Christ. And our suffering becomes his sufferings. Our Christian joy is born in the good we are able to do for each other by offering up our Lenten sufferings.

What we do for each other can change the world we are living in. One person can make a difference. God can use us as his children when we are willing to live our lives as a Christ for each other. Perhaps this can be the Lent when we are able to preach by our lives and say the Kingdom of heaven is at hand. If we let Christ’s light shine through us, there can be an end to wars and rumors of war in the light of Christ shining through our world out of each of us. If we follow Christ with all our heart we will have the light of Christ as our light.

No comments: