Sunday, March 16, 2008

Stop Holding Onto Me

March 25, 2008

Tuesday in the Octave of Easter

“Therefore let the whole house of Israel know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus whom you crucified.” Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and they asked Peter and the other apostles, “What are we to do, my brothers?” Peter (said) to them, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the holy Spirit.” Acts 2:36-37

Jesus said to her, “Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” Mary of Magdala went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and what he told her. John 20:17-18

Piety

Jesus, your words are living words. Help us to reflect on the meaning personally to get to know you. Give us the tools we need to bring that word into the world in faith and love. Amen.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/032508.shtml

Now it is time for us to stop standing outside the empty tomb. Just as Mary accepted the challenge from Jesus, we have to stop holding onto Jesus for ourselves.

After communion, our liturgy does not end with our “Amen.” In reverence, we head back to our seat to pray. However, just as Jesus sent Mary back out into the world, we too are asked to carry Jesus out into the world. Stop holding onto Jesus. Consume him into your very being. Let his blood course through your body. Let his body nourish you. Because it is time to go out into the world and profess his name in words and deeds.

Action

What are we to do? Accept the gifts the Lord has prepared for us and pass those gifts on to the world. It is time to leave the empty tomb and recognize Jesus in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an exciting site. I just discovered you. I have been a cursillista since 1999. My husband will be serving on his first team in two weeks. The words "Stop holding on to me" resonated strongly within me today and my google search of those words led me to you. Thanks be to God!

De Colores!