Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Father and Son will Dwell Within You

April 21, 2008

Monday of the Fifth Week of Easter

By Beth DeCristofaro

Men, why are you doing this? We are of the same nature as you, human beings. We proclaim to you good news that you should turn from these idols to the living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and all that is in them. In past generations he allowed all Gentiles to go their own ways; yet, in bestowing his goodness (Acts 14: 15-17)

Jesus answered and said to him, “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me.” (John 14:23, 24)

Piety

Lord Jesus, show me your way rather than my own way. Help me sweep my house so I am fit and ready for God to dwell within me. Open me to know and share the goodness of God. Amen.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/042108.shtml

Reading Acts these Easter weeks has been inspiring. Paul and Barnabas, Peter and Stephen continue to speak in spite of personal danger. The Good News so fills them that they must proclaim, must spill out that the living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and all that is in them. (Acts 14:15) loves humanity, has always loved humanity and desires to be with humanity.

Last week we heard Jesus tell his disciples “This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent.” (John 6:29) This week, Jesus tells us what this means if we make the leap to believe. The awesome message is that “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.” (John 14:23) God desires to dwell within us.

It is good for me to host out of town guests because it throws me into a flurry of cleaning. My house is often cluttered, dusty and there are those mysterious sticky spots on the floor. In our churches we use gleaming candle sticks and spotless linen on the altar to show our respect for the place of God. How often, however, do I sweep out and mop up my own interior? Are there sticky spots of anger, self-righteousness, or clumps of jealousy, pride and greed in the corners of my soul? Does lack of forgiveness clog my heart? God doesn’t want us to be so zealous as to sanitize our humanity away. Paul tells the misguided crowds, “In past generations (God) allowed all Gentiles to go their own ways; yet, in bestowing his goodness, he did not leave himself without witness, for he gave you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, and filled you with nourishment and gladness for your hearts.” (Acts 14: 16-17). God loves us as humans. But God asks that we listen to the Truth of the Word not the truths we think we know such as following false gods or hiding in the upper rooms of our own insecurities.

Action

Reflect on the Word of today and let it seep into the corners of your being. Act according to the Word and you will grow closer to God as God fills those corners. Pope Benedict reached out to victims of sexual abuse and listened. Are there those who hurt – even if we feel we’ve listened to them long enough or feel they should “get over it”? To whom is the Word asking you to reach out? Do you need forgiveness?

Pope Benedict’s message to Americans has been laced with themes of human equality, justice, compassion and unity rooted in the Word. How can I act for justice today? How can I show compassion today? How can I work toward unity within my place or work, within my church?

Yesterday in Acts, the Hellenists were angered that their widows were neglected in the daily distribution of food. What can we do? “Bread for the World members are asking their members of Congress to urge House and Senate leadership and leaders of the House and Senate agriculture committees to ensure that the final farm bill includes permanent funding for nutrition programs at levels no less than those passed by the House -- $11.5 billion over 10 years.” Tell your representatives to support this funding which will provide for the poorest in our American community. www.bread.org Learn about global hunger issues as well.

No comments: