Sunday, May 25, 2008

Jesus Looks and Loves

May 26, 2008

Memorial of Saint Philip Neri, priest

By Beth DeCristofaro

…now for a little while you may have to suffer through various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire, may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:6-7)

Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him, “You are lacking in one thing. Go, sell what you have, and give to (the) poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” At that statement his face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions. (Mark 10: 21-22)

Piety

Give me cheer, give me strength to say to you “Yes”, Brother Jesus. I would rather follow you than sit on my riches in the cave of my heart. Help me spend my treasures for those whom you love.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/052608.shtml

Jesus, looking at him, loved him…

Did Jesus know, before he answered, that the man was going to say “no” to the loving offer?

Jesus certainly loved him for his enthusiasm, his desire to attain eternal reward, and his fidelity to the laws of Moses. Jesus even loved the man in his sadness as he, turning away, realized his own moral cowardice. Jesus saw clearly to the hearts, minds and souls of those who confronted him; Jesus, “looking at him, loved him.”

How often do we turn away, full of sadness because we choose not to say “yes”? A relative of mine who is alone and whose health is not good lives in a nearby town. He could use more loving company. I know he is loved by Jesus. In fact, sometimes I wonder if it is Jesus alone who loves him because he is a cantankerous know-it-all. It is difficult to be with him in so many ways that I make up reasons for not visiting. Jesus, in today’s gospel, looks at me with love and reminds me “Daughter, how hard it is to enter the Kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God.” Can I give up my riches, my time, pride and comfort and convenience or will I continue to turn away like the rich man?

Action

Today is the feast of St. Philip Neri, Patron of Rome who said, “Be humble and obedient and the Holy Spirit will teach you.” What do you need to give up in order to say, “Yes” to following Jesus? Ask the Holy Spirit for the courage to do it. Ask Philip Neri who gave up his life to serve the poor and instruct people in the faith for help to pass through the eye of your personal needle.

“Cheerfulness strengthens the heart and makes us persevere in a good life. Therefore the servant of God ought always to be in good spirits.” -Saint Philip Neri. Sell your riches and follow Jesus in good cheer, assured of God’s welcome.

No comments: