Monday, May 19, 2008

Let My Words and Thoughts Find Favor

May 19 2008

Monday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time

Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show his works by a good life in the humility that comes from wisdom. … For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every foul practice. (James 3:13,16)

Let the words of my mouth and the thought of my heart find favor before you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. (Psalm 19:14-15)

Jesus said to him, “‘If you can!’ Everything is possible to one who has faith.” Then the boy’s father cried out, “I do believe, help my unbelief!” (Mark 9:23,24)

Piety

O God, disasters, frailty and violence in the world pull my spirits down. What can be done? Let my words of prayer find favor with you. I entreat you, Lord, my rock and my redeemer, bring comfort for those who suffer and mourn. ‘the night is dark and I am far from home, lead thou me on.’ (with thanks to John Henry Cardinal Newman)

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/051908.shtml

It is all too easy to see examples of disorder and foul practice such as what James writes about. The leaders of Myanmar are refusing aid from “outsiders” to their own people, ravaged by disaster. American companies chase soaring profits while their employees experience cuts in health care accessibility and pensions. Perhaps the arguing among the crowd and the disciples is also an example – are the disciples each claiming “I can cast out this demon” or “No, me, me.” Jealousy and ambition mask the healing power of belief. Do our committees, boards of directors and task forces struggle with these strangling forces even if setting out with a noble purpose? Do we let our desire for promotion and possessions get in the way of hearing our friends’ or family’s need for our love?

It is sometimes hard to see “works of a good life in the humility that comes from wisdom” (James 3:13). But a note of thanks left by a single mother, struggling to care for an active toddler while her infant lies dangerously brain damaged in hospital is an act of humility informed with wisdom. And a gift of grace. We can see Jesus in the world through such unselfish actions as He walks with each us through human time.

Whether our situation is in Myanmar or more like a desert: dry, unpromising, seemingly empty of grace, Jesus says to us: “This kind can only come out through prayer.” (Mark 9:29) The psalmist knows this: Let the words of my mouth and the thought of my heart find favor before you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. (Psalm 19:14-15) Jesus is there when we can cut through the arguing, the static in our brains, the distractions of our hearts. Practice being with him.

Action

'This kind can come out only through prayer.' Consider offering palanca for the millions suffering throughout the world today. Enter with them in their suffering; through prayer bring them the healing presence of Jesus.

No comments: