Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hand Over your Cloak

June 16 2008
Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

When Jezebel learned that Naboth had been stoned to death, she said to Ahab, “Go on, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite … Ahab started off on his waydown to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it. (1 Kings 21:15-16)
At dawn I bring my plea expectantly before you. For you, O God, delight not in wickedness. (Psalm 5:4)

But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on your right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. (Matthew 5: 39-40)

Piety

Loving Father, I bring to you all my faults and especially my wrath. I see my anger leads to a dreadful failing, a shameful falling, and a sorrowful dying. But in this dying I trust your mercy continually at work protecting me even against myself, and turning everything to good for us.
(From All Will be Well: Based on the Spirituality of Julian of Norwich, Richard Chilson, Ave Maria Press, 1995, p. 100.)

Study
http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/061608.shtml

A good friend of mine had a son who, as a teen and young adult, suffered from alcohol and drug abuse. He was, at various times, violent, neglectful, rude to all, uncooperative, blaming and, perhaps most hurtful he rejected his family. My friend prayed unceasingly and asked us to do the same for him. She was at times fearful in her own home for safety. But she never stopped loving him.

Of course, we say. He is her son. He is ill. He deserves another chance. And any parent’s heart will bleed with her at her sadness and pain.

But Jesus says to us: When someone strikes you on your right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. (Matthew 5:38-40) This command is not qualified to turning the cheek if your son or a favorite friend acts out. Jesus says “someone” including the stranger. He says to “go the extra mile” for this someone who has offended.

Remember, last week Jesus said: But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raqa,’ will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna. (Matthew 5:22) Whoa, are you kidding, Lord? That idiot who lied to me? That jerk who pickpocketed me? That inconsiderate weakling who didn’t stand up for me?

Like the gentle wind in which Elijah found God, Jesus answers “Yes.” One would think that the gentle wind would even forgive whining, greedy Ahab and immoral, malevolent Jezebel if they repented. No doubt they would still face punishment. Forgiveness does not imply accepting evil behavior. Forgiveness is all about love. Jesus wants us to love, love, and love some more, as he says later in this same chapter: But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. (Matthew 5: 44-45)

Jesus sure asks a lot of me. He wants me to hand over my cloak. What does my cloak look like? Does it include indignation, anger, self-righteousness, hurt? I need to give them over at the same time I give of my treasures: time, belongings, money, prayer and love. During the readings last weeks Jesus gave us stark, dramatic examples of how his law of love is completing and fulfilling the law of order in the Old Testament. God wants a new attitude. The ultimate finish line is set for me, not “them”: So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5: 48) Leave the judgment to God.

Action

To whom does Jesus want me to show forgiveness and love? Is it a child (old enough to know better) who has flouted my good advice or thrown away opportunities? Is it a friend who has hurt me? Is it an undocumented worker whom I prefer to call illegal and refuse to recognize her/his human rights because she/he is not an American? Is it a fighter in Iraq or Afghanistan who is against my country and my beliefs? Is it an underemployed worker who wants me to pay for her health care instead of pulling it together herself.

Pray for that person or persons. Pray for yourself. Give over your cloak. After all, our cloaks, our country, our health, our paychecks, our very self is all a gift from God. Share God’s gifts of which the most important is love.

No comments: