Saturday, July 19, 2008

What Wondrous Love

July 21 2008

Monday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

O my people, what have I done to you, or how have I wearied you? Answer me! For I brought you up from the land of Egypt, from the place of slavery I released you; and I sent before you Moses, Aaron, and Miriam…You have been told, O man, what is good,
and what the LORD requires of you: Only to do the right and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God.
(Micah 6:3-4, 8)

An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.
(Matthew 12: 39, 40)

Piety

LORD God, help me to do as you ask in all I think and do today. Lend me your hand that I might do right. Let me see and love goodness. Offer me the chance to walk humbly with you, Almighty God.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/072108.shtml

The media is full of stories such as a woman committing murdered or a man caught in poverty, disease and addiction. Often we hear the broken hearted parents cry: "What have I done?" "What went wrong?" There is most often a very complicated back-story with good intentions and blame enough to share. How wrenching, then, to hear God's sorrow: O my people, what have I done to you, or how have I wearied you? (Micah 6:3). God sorrows that the Chosen People in Micah's day and that I, today, turn away. It is rather mind blowing because, of course, there is no blame on the part of God. The psalmist knew that God keeps the covenant. God just wants ME! My duty is manifested by my praise and my obedience: He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me; and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God (Psalm 50:23)

St. Therese of Liseux puts it another way: "Jesus does not ask great deeds from us, but only surrender and gratitude." A child who has hurt her mom or dad will try to make it up – bring flowers or hugs or maybe even make put her toys away, unasked. The parent says "I love you, just do what you are supposed to do the next time, please." As adult children we can hear the same loving, parental words from God through our prayer. Jesus is the sign of God's love – more tender, more potent, more life giving than any hug. Paraphrasing St. Therese, Jesus comes to a heaven infinitely dear to him, "the heaven of our souls."

It brings to mind the beautiful words of the song:

What wondrous love is this!
oh, my soul! oh, my soul!
What wondrous love is this! oh my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse
for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul.

Action

What "signs" do I seek that are hindering me from recognizing the wondrous love God has offered me in Jesus and quickened through the Spirit? Am I looking for earthly proof of God's love? If I am expecting forgiveness or acceptance, as sacrifice, I can offer them to another. If it is advancement or respect from others, to whom can I give recognition, advancement or respect? Do I feel that repentance is due to me? What if I made amends?

Walk humbly into the presence of God all day today. Give thanks for the little miracles – and even the little hindrances – of our safe lives. Be kind and look for goodness. There is something greater than Jonah, greater than Solomon within your soul.

No comments: