Sunday, August 17, 2008

Many Possessions

August 18, 2008

Monday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time


By Beth DeCristofaro

You were unmindful of the Rock that begot you. You forgot the God who gave you birth. (Deuteronomy 32:18)

“If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions. (Matthew 19:21-22)

Piety

Fill me with love, Brother Jesus, so that I need not be filled with possessions and longings. Fill me with love that I might brim over with your presence. Fill me with love that I might love those around me mightily. Fill me with love, Lord Jesus, that each step I take is toward you.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/081808.shtml

“…[F]or he had many possessions.”

Well, this description fits me in a disturbing way. In fact, compared to this young man in the first century A.D., I would probably be considered a billionaire. Should I hold a mega yard sale? Should I live as the Catholic Workers live – on donations from others, owning very, very little? Or perhaps as Mother Theresa did? Knowing myself, that doesn’t seem likely. So, does this mean I’ve failed God? Have I forgotten the rock that begot me?

John the Baptist serves as a model. Eccentric as he seems today, he put his whole life into proclaiming the Messiah’s coming. John knew that keeping his eye on the “treasure in heaven” was where his heart and faith lay as well as his possessions. The one who has the bride is the bridegroom; the best man, who stands and listens for him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice. So this joy of mine has been made complete. He must increase; I must decrease." (John 3: 29-30) John was willing and eager to diminish himself in putting forward Jesus.

How does this work in my life? As John went on to say of himself, I also am one who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of earthly things. (John 3: 31) John made the definitive sacrifice in order to proclaim Jesus. Jesus asks of me that I, too, sacrifice earthly things including possessions, including my security and “safe places”, including identity and desires. God gives me the freedom to decide what that sacrifice will be.

Action

Be mindful of possessions – are they needed or wanted? Choose stores which benefit local groups or carry fair trade items. The US Conference of Catholic Bishops website has daily action tips: http://www.usccb.org/cchd/povertyusa/index.htm

What else do I possess – attitudes, character traits, way of life, prejudices - which I put before God? Am I always right? Do I know what is best for others? Do I value rules and regulations above relationships? Give up a possession.

No comments: