Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stand Up and Glorify God

October 27, 2008


Monday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time


By Beth De Cristofaro


Be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and handed himself over for us. (Ephesians 5:8)


When Jesus saw her, he called to her and said, “Woman, you are set free of your infirmity.” He laid his hands on her, and she at once stood up straight and glorified God….The Lord said to (the leader of the synagogue) in reply, “Hypocrites! … This daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound for eighteen years now, ought she not to have been set free on the Sabbath day from this bondage?” (Luke 13:12-13, 15-16)

Piety

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, We praise you and give you glory: We bless you for calling us to be your holy people. Remain in our hearts, and guide us in our love and service. Help us to let our light shine before others. And lead them to the way of faith. Holy Trinity of love, we praise you now and for ever. Amen!

(From http://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/english/p04385.htm)

Study

Finding a good, quiet half-hour to reflect, I sat down to read and meditate on today’s readings only to have the phone ring. At 8:30 in the morning, generally that means family needs so I jumped up to answer and heard a quiet, calm voice say, “Good Morning is this Mr. DeCristofaro?” As my irritation rose into my throat and cheeks, I paused and said, “Actually, no it isn’t” and the response came back “Oh, sorry, is this Mrs. DeCristofaro?” Well, this sales person had already lost me! I choked back abrupt words in order to tell a sweet-voiced nun that no, I am not interested in a Catholic magazine subscription…at 8:30 in the morning…during my reflection moments…


Settling back down was difficult so I read the Gospel again. And received a swift wallop between my ears. Who was in bondage here? The suffering woman stood up straight and glorified God at Jesus’ healing touch but my irritation at a real life interruption was filling me, leaving no room for Jesus’ peace or movement of the Spirit. At that moment, I reluctantly recognized that I was in the shoes of the leader in the synagogue who was himself in bondage to law – rules and regulations considered more important than a daughter of Abraham. He was more concerned with external compliance rather than compassion. What caused me to be so irritated? I had been caught up in my self-absorbed piety which was goal-driven rather than God-driven.


As Catholic Christians, are we not called to accept, joyfully, the healing and justice of God? And to spread God’s healing and justice in order to build the Kingdom? I can’t do that when I fill myself with my own agenda, my own territory, rules, laws, displeasures, fears, judgments, compulsions, occupations. Or as St. Paul says: immorality, idolatry, wicked arguments, impurity, greed, lack of forgiveness. The leader of the synagogue must not have listened when Jesus said (as in yesterday’s Gospel) that the greatest commandments are love: Love God and love neighbor. Am I listening?


So, a little wiser and much chastened, I forgave myself and stood up to praise God.


Action

Welcome to our new babe-chick brothers, beginning their Fourth Day standing up straight and glorifying God. Let’s keep them in prayer and join them. Sit silent with God – not with our own agenda but with God - and ask for insight into what is binding us. With what are we so bent over that we cannot see God? Ask for healing. Ask for justice. Accept God’s mercy. And stand up, glorify God, and bring God to the world.

No comments: