Sunday, November 23, 2008

Follow the Lamb

November 24 2008


Memorial of Saint Andrew Dung-Lac, priest and martyr, and his companions, martyrs


By Beth DeCristofaro


These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. (Revelations 14:4)


Who can ascend the mountain of the LORD? Or who may stand in his holy place? He whose hands are sinless, whose heart is clean, who desires not what is vain. (Psalm 24: 3-4)


He said, “I tell you truly, this poor widow put in more than all the rest; for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood.” (Luke 21:3-4)

Piety

Jesus, Help me follow you wherever you go. Soften my resistance to the challenge of your way. Open my heart to your mercy that I may see around me your blessings and share them with others. All that I am, all that I have, are gifts you have given to me. Help me give them away so that I might stand in your holy place surrounded by those beloved by You.

Study

Yesterday’s Gospel gave us Jesus explaining that doing for the lowest and poorest was doing for him. Of today’s Gospel the NAB says: “The widow is another example of the poor ones in this gospel whose detachment from material possessions and dependence on God leads to their blessedness.” Generosity of heart rather than survival is Jesus’ message. But Jesus’ generosity is inspired by love and charity rather than tradition or self-fulfillment. Jesus keeps trying to get us to understand that we live in community not isolation. Jesus is not in isolation from God the Father; the Spirit completes and breathes into the Trinity and into us.


This lovely French proverb struck me as a measure of where I am in my quest-for (or ignoring-of) charity: ‘Trop est avare à qui Dieu ne suffit’ which means “You’re too greedy if God is not enough for you.” Do I really need that extra pair of warm gloves or CD (wow, that music is so beautiful!)? Why do I not let God fill me up instead of the “stuff” that I “long” for? Being one who panics when my bank account begins to dip, as I watch the poor widow I am amazed and humbled.


In a secular world “It is a fact that givers are happier people than non-givers. According to the Social Capital Community Benchmark Survey, a survey of 30,000 American households, people who gave money to charity in 2000 were 43% more likely than non-givers to say they were "very happy" about their lives. Similarly, volunteers were 42% more likely to be very happy than non-volunteers. …givers to all types of religious and secular causes were far happier than non-givers.” So we now have numbers to trust in if we are too preoccupied or absorbed to experience the vital and intense peace of God’s blessings.

Action

Take some time to reflect on the proverb. Ask yourself: Is God enough? For what am I greedy? In what way am I self-centered or insecure? Make the commitment to give away that for which you are most greedy. Empty yourself in order that God will fill your depths.

No comments: