Saturday, November 01, 2008

Hope Does Not Disappoint

November 2, 2008

The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls)

By Rev. Joe McCloskey, S.J.

But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them... But they are in peace. Wisdom 3:1,3

Indeed, only with difficulty does one die for a just person, though perhaps for a good person one might even find courage to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us. Romans 5:5-8

Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. John 6:37-38

Piety
(From Benedictine Daily Prayer: A Short Breviary)

Let us pray: Merciful Father, hear our pleading. Lord, grant that as our faith in Your Son’s resurrection is deepened, our hope in the coming resurrection of your servants may be strengthened as well.

Helen Rizzo
Anthony W. Rizzo
Dorothy De Cristofaro
Joseph De Cristofaro
Antoinette De Cristofaro
Helen Hayes
Dorothy Day
Mike Businger
Gerard J. Cerny
Anthony J. Weeda
Maude Virginia Cave
Walter Ristow
Fr. Phillip Berrigan
Fr. Richard McSorley
Vince Mikolainus
Abbot Walter Coggin
Fr. Martin Hayes
Msgr. Robert Bullman
Romeo Landi
Anthony Pecorale
James Scaramuzzo
Jerry Cammarata
Mike Costea
Fr. Jerome Dollard
William Lawler
Alexander B. Costea
Salvatore De Cristofaro

This we ask of you for these loved ones and all the souls of the faithfully departed. Through your mercy, grant them peace. Amen.

Study

“If purgatory did not exist, I would have to invent it.” Pope Benedict XVI said that. I agree. For years I had mixed feeling about whether it existed or not. If I could invent a way to skip purgatory, I would do it. Fortunately there is a way to pass it by. To do it, all I have to do is live a saintly life. The souls of the Just are in the hand of God. I believe that with all my heart. The problem is that as I get older, I have a sharper vision of what I do poorly. I know God tries me and I want to be worthy of him. But when I run from difficulties and do not face up to what goodness is all about, it makes it hard for me to want to be before God. I want to be worthy of the people I love. God is no exception. The love of God in giving us his Son for our forgiveness, I am more than willing to accept. His forgiveness I believe is a real cleansing. In the love of Christ I do not fear being with the God of Love. His love generates in our hearts the need of being good. It is the poverty of my goodness that makes me pause to reflect. I get dressed up for the big events in my life. Purgatory is the chance to get ready to be in the presence of the God of love. How much better Purgatory seems to me as the waiting room for heaven. God provides the place to get ready for heaven.

As I get older, I see how much more I need the young people of my life to explain how to use the new fangled devices of progress. The Communion of Saints is the connectedness of the Mystical Body of Christ. Today is the time to pray for our faithful departed and especially those who have need of our help to; be ready for heaven. Family and friends from heaven have a call on our prayer and apostolic labor to get them moving to the pearly gates. How we pray for our departed by name at this time and during this month gives special meaning to Purgatory. Our prayers and good works can make a difference. We can make a special visit to the Church in their name. Saying a rosary for them is a wonderful practice.

Action

Going to Communion and offering our closeness to Christ as a special prayer that they too may be quickly brought home to heaven is another way of interceding for them.

I am always especially grateful to those who give me the last helping hand when I am trying to finish up a job. Praying for the person who is next ready for heaven is something that catches my attention. Praying for the person who has no one to pray for them is like being helped by someone you do not know when you are broken down on the roads of life.

All these people we pray for when they get to heaven will have the chance to pray for us. Then Al Souls Day will become our day for heaven.

No comments: