Monday, November 17, 2008

I Must Stay at Your House

November 18, 2008

Tuesday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time

Be watchful and strengthen what is left, which is going to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God. Remember then how you accepted and heard; keep it, and repent. If you are not watchful, I will come like a thief, and you will never know at what hour I will come upon you. Revelation 3:2-3

Now a man there named Zacchaeus, who was a chief tax collector and also a wealthy man, was seeking to see who Jesus was; but he could not see him because of the crowd, for he was short in stature. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way. When he reached the place, Jesus looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house.” Luke 19:2-5

Piety
Lord, help us to remain close to you. Please invite yourself into my home and heart so that we may hear your Word and put your Love into practice. Amen.


Study

There is a difference in the invitation we see today. Usually, the host does the inviting. “Let’s have XYZ over for dinner.” On more formal occasions, we may extend an engraved invitation. “You are cordially invited to a dinner at my house in honor of Jesus of Nazareth.” The guest of honor rarely does the inviting…which is what we see happening today. "Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house.”

This seems backward. However, because it helps us notice the action, Jesus is making a point. He wants to “invite himself over” to all of our houses. How will he know where to dwell? How will he know who is his friend?

First, he will know where to dwell because the chosen people are no longer only the Jews. No longer is the family of God limited to only those who are actual blood descendants of Abraham. Today, the church is united based upon our actions. “‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, (then) I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me.’”

This echoes what we heard earlier in this liturgical year. When Martha complained to Jesus about Mary leaving her “to do the serving,” Jesus replied, “There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.” The better part is sitting still and listening to Jesus.

Then, in Luke 11, Jesus was preaching and we heard the following exchange: While he was speaking, a woman from the crowd called out and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts at which you nursed.” He replied, "Rather, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it." (Luke 11:27-28)

Time after time, Luke reminds us to listen to Jesus and let his words dwell in our hearts and in the way we lead our lives no matter who we are or what station we have in life.

For you say, 'I am rich and affluent and have no need of anything,' and yet do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. I advise you to buy from me gold refined by fire so that you may be rich, and white garments to put on so that your shameful nakedness may not be exposed, and buy ointment to smear on your eyes so that you may see. Those whom I love, I reprove and chastise. Be earnest, therefore, and repent. “‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, (then) I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me.’” Revelation 3:17-20

Action

Take Jesus into your heart today through the Scriptures, Mass and Eucharist. See what opportunities for service he places before you. Follow the example of Zacchaeus. You may have to run, not walk, to see Jesus. You may have to look hard – maybe even climb a tree – to see what Jesus wants to show you. You also may have to climb that tree so Jesus can see your desire above everyone else. Welcome Jesus with joy to dine at your house. Like Zacchaeus, give up your old ways and embrace new ways.

Credit: Original image found at http://www.miat.org.au/images/013.jpg

No comments: