Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Soul Proclaims God

December 22 2008

Monday of the Fourth Week of Advent

By Beth DeCristofaro

(Hannah said) “I am the woman who stood near you here, praying to the LORD. I prayed for this child, and the LORD granted my request. Now I, in turn, give him to the LORD; as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the LORD.” (1 Samuel 1:26-28)

Mary said: “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior for he has looked upon his lowly servant. From this day all generations will call me blessed: the Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name. (Luke 1:46-49)

Piety

In humility may my soul proclaim your greatness, God. In trust, may my spirit rejoice in both your blessings and your requirements. Grant my request, O God, to be ever with you. Thank you for the great things you have done for me. May I ever keep you holy before and within me.

Study

A friend lost a baby to severe heart disease. She held up her daughter and prayed, “She is now yours, God.” She then cradled the infant and cried and cried. Her sorrow was profound while at the same time she felt sure knowledge that God, who had made the life of this innocent, held her daughter’s life even closer and more secure than ever a mother could.

Did Mary fully understand what was in store for her son? Perhaps not. But as a woman in ancient Israel, she certainly knew the dangers of life and as a devout Jew, she certainly was aware of the very old prophecies that did not predict a long and fruitful life for the Messiah. Her willingness to put God before herself and her child is most important. Did Hannah know that her son, given over to the temple, would become a most important prophets? Most likely not. And what did these two women do but exalt, giving thanks in their words and deeds for God’s direct action in their lives. Mary stood – stands - in the fullness of God’s time. Her canticle of praise is utmost a model of acceptance and elation in the will of God. And God’s plan for salvation was furthered.

Action

As advent, the time of preparation ends, for what have we been preparing? On Cursillo weekend, we are warned that in entering our fourth day nothing “back home” is changed. Not much in daily life is drastically changed in Advent, either. Has our Advent changed our own hearts? In our day to day existence, is our heart softer, quieter, more joyous? Do we have God deep within or do we house ourself, or fear of the economic times, or concern over global conditions, or personal pains and addictions in that central core which belongs to God? Is our faith a sustaining force in good, horrible or just plain weird times? Might we cry in agony yet know in our depths that “I am yours, God?”

Keep the wonder of Jesus’ birth by praying with Mary: “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior for he has looked upon his lowly servant.” With whom can you share this message today?

No comments: