Tuesday, December 01, 2009

I Will Dwell in the House of the Lord

December 2, 2009


Wednesday of the First Week of Advent


On this mountain the LORD of hosts will provide for all peoples a feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines…For the hand of the LORD will rest on this mountain. Isaiah 26:6, 10


Moving on from there Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee, went up on the mountain, and sat down there. Great crowds came to him, having with them the lame, the blind, the deformed, the mute, and many others. They placed them at his feet, and he cured them. Matthew 15:29-30


Piety


The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.

In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me; you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.

Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.

You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.


Study


What exactly does Biblical victory look like and feel like? For some, they might think it means a victory in warfare over enemies who mean physical harm. However, the scene on the mountainside in Galilee today reminds us that the Lord provides for us a victory over the interior conflicts that afflict us.


Just as he cures and feeds the multitude, the Lord provides everything we need. He is our shepherd who provides for his flock something to eat, something to drink. Such provisions strengthen us as we go out into the world (the dark valley) and face poverty, disease, war, sin and more. Knowing that we walk at the side of our “good shepherd,” we have strength and encouragement for the journey.


Just as Jesus spread the loaves and fishes among his followers that afternoon in the deserted place, he will come to us and provide a place to dwell where we will not want for more.


Action


What do you think you lack for our journey? Are you pre-occupied with collecting the provisions and baggage that you want to take along that you are forgetting to make a place on your journey for the Good Shepherd to be there with you?


What mountain are you climbing right now in your life? Do you sufficiently trust that the hand of the Lord is on that mountain helping you to overcome whatever obstacle is in your path?