Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Chosen Instrument of Mine

January 25, 2010


Feast of the Conversion of St. Paul


But the Lord said to him, "Go, for this man is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before Gentiles, kings, and Israelites, and I will show him what he will have to suffer for my name." So Ananias went and entered the house; laying his hands on him, he said, "Saul, my brother, the Lord has sent me, Jesus who appeared to you on the way by which you came, that you may regain your sight and be filled with the holy Spirit." Acts 9:15-17


He said to them, "Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned. Mark 16:15-16

Piety

Awareness of God’s Presence

From heaven to Earth:

I watch you interact.

I see you dance.

I watch your breakdowns.

I see you love.

I suffer through your struggles.

I revel in your accomplishments.

I cry when someone taunts you

I laugh when someone laughs with you.

I am the peace you feel amidst the confusion.

I am the grass that cushions your fall.

I am the comfort of your hug to another.

I am the food for those who have none.

I long for you to notice. Thank you for the times you have.

If you could, do you think, when you wake up in the morning, you could whisper in the depths of your heart, “I know you’re here”? Because I am. Amen.

(Now and Forever: The CUA Student Prayer Book)

Study

The Lord said to Ananias that Paul is a chosen instrument much like David was in our readings last week. However, they both needed the intervention of another person in order to fulfill that role.


On your Cursillo weekend, you might remember being introduced to the phrase: “Make a friend. Be a friend. Bring a friend to Christ.” Ananias and Jonathan have showed us in their example how they helped prepare the way for a friend to bring others to Christ. Their example also flows from that of John the Baptist and the whole history of prophets through the Hebrew Bible.


Paul’s conversion might not have been possible without Ananias helping him regain his sight. David’s kingship might not have been possible if he had not been saved by Jonathan from the jealousy and murder plot being hatched by the Old Testament Saul.

Action

Our work is important but as the Sunday scripture reminded us, we are part of one body and we do not stand alone. If we are to go out into the world and proclaim the Gospel, who is the person helping to pave your path and make that possible?


Take some time today to thank someone who has been the Ananias or the Jonathan in your life. They have been a chosen instrument of the Lord in order to help lead you to fulfill your mission in this life.