Saturday, April 17, 2010

Stretch Out Your Hands

April 18, 2010

Third Sunday of Easter

By Rev. Joe McCloskey, SJ

“We must obey God rather than men.” Acts 5:29

He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” (Jesus) said to him, “Feed my sheep. Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.” John 21:17-19

Piety

The triple denial of Peter is an eye opener. It makes us aware of our own weaknesses and dangers. The good I would do, I do not. The evil I would not, I do. How can I ever be confident that I will live up to my love of Christ? He says it neatly. If you love me, keep the commandments. There is no shortage of failures in this world of ours. How many times I have offended makes me wary of looking askance at Peter and his failures. I look at the dumb things that I have done in my life and question what I have learned from my mistakes. Theresa of Avila says it wonderfully. If you had my graces, you would do twice as much as I do for the Lord. If I had your graces, I would do half as much as you do. Who can know who the great Saints of life are when there is so much left undone that we see around us? How many people put up with difficulties that would floor me? What are the great difficulties of life that I have surmounted for the sake of Christ? Peter preaches Christ even after the Sanhedrin questions him and threatens him if he continues to go around preaching Christ. When have I ever stood up to Authority when they are trying to shut down something I believe important to keep open. Piety is seen in our willingness to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name of Christ. Peter and the others rejoice that they had been found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name.

Study

We look carefully at our lives to see the ways we love Christ. Each opportunity taken to do something for Christ is how we answer the question of whether we love him. How do I stick to Community? Peter says he is going fishing and we see the non-fishermen apostles joining Peter to go fishing. Thomas who probably never had been a fisherman is not going to be found far from the Community. He is numbered among those who go fishing. The Christ of the Resurrection belongs to the Community and the majority of the appearances happen when the disciples are either looking for Christ or gathering to share Christ. The Christ of the Resurrection seems to be a stranger that is recognized in the breaking of the Bread. They catch nothing and hear the stranger on the shore telling them to throw the net over on the other side of the boat from where they were fishing. They fill the boat with a 153 big fish. The miracle was that the net did not break. John who was loved by Christ recognizes Christ. Peter rushes to Christ. He does not hang back. How slow we are to believe at times. How slow we are to turn to Christ! The disciples realize that it is the Lord because a breakfast is waiting for them. The Christ of the Resurrection serves them. They do not ask if it is really him. Christ gave them the bread and they believed. Christ did not rush away from them.

Action

Christ walks with Peter and asks three times of peter if he loves him. Christ is forever asking the same of us. The first time Christ asks Peter if he loves him more than the others. That was because Peter had said that even if the others would deny Christ, he would never do so. Peter has to respond three times in the affirmative that he loves Christ. The third time Peter says what we know all too well. Christ knows everything about us. Peter knows how much he loves Christ. We have to tell Christ as many times as we can each day how much we love him. The command after the affirmation of love is to feed the flock of Christ. It is not something that we realize sufficiently. Our love is best seen in how we feed the flock of Christ. If I could not feed his flock, I could still love Christ. The action of doing for the needy is the best statement of love. See what I do for the flock of Christ and you will know how much he is loved by me. James fought with Paul over the need of deeds to show the truth of our faith in Christ. Christ reads our hearts and sees what we are trying to do for him. Love Christ and do what you can to feed his flock.