Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Revealed

July 14, 2010

Memorial of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, virgin

Will the axe boast against him who hews with it? Will the saw exalt itself above him who wields it? As if a rod could sway him who lifts it, or a staff him who is not wood! Therefore the Lord, the LORD of hosts, will send among his fat ones leanness, And instead of his glory there will be kindling like the kindling of fire. Isaiah 10:15-16

At that time Jesus said in reply, "I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him. Matthew 11:25-27

Piety
Novena To Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha
http://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/novenas/p00045.htm
Kateri, favored child and Lily of the Mohawks, I come to seek your intercession in my present need.

I admire the virtues which adorned your soul: love of God and neighbor, humility, obedience, patience, purity and the spirit of sacrifice. Help me to imitate your example in my state of life. Through the goodness and mercy of God, Who has blessed you with so many graces which led you to the true faith and to a high degree of holiness, pray to God for me and help me.

Obtain for me a very fervent devotion to the Holy Eucharist so that I may love Holy Mass as you did and receive Holy Communion as often as I can. Teach me also to be devoted to my crucified Savior as you were, that I may cheerfully bear my daily crosses for love of Him Who suffered so much for love of me. Most of all I beg you to pray for me that I may avoid sin, lead a holy life and save my soul. Kateri, Lily of the Mohawks, pray for me. Amen.

Study
Many are counted among those who reject Jesus and the significance of his humble deeds. The wise and the learned, the scribes and Pharisees. However, while those with political and positional power reject Jesus, the powerless have accepted him. The powerless includes the anawim – the widows, orphans and others whom Jesus focuses upon in his social gospel.

Acceptance is derived only partly by the external lack of power. It also is determined by the internal personal disposition. One must be open to receive the teachings of Jesus. The notes from the New American Bible also explain that “Jesus can speak of all mysteries because he is the Son and there is perfect reciprocity of knowledge between him and the Father; what has been handed over to him is revealed only to those whom he wishes.”

These two conditions are not always mutually exclusive. There can be those among the powerful who are open to Jesus’ teaching. Case in point is Nicodemus. Although he initially steals away under cover of darkness to learn from Jesus, in the end, he is counted among the few who travel in broad daylight to the foot of the cross following the execution of the Lord.

There also can be those who are powerless and who are not open to the teachings. The case here might be considered the “bad thief.” He finds himself hanging from a cross just like Jesus but does not accept Jesus like the other criminal does.

Action
Are you open to receive the teaching of Jesus?