Monday, July 19, 2010

You Show Faithfulness

July 20, 2010

Tuesday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance; … You will show faithfulness to Jacob, and grace to Abraham, As you have sworn to our fathers from days of old. (Micah 7:18,20)

"Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother." (Matthew 12:50)

Piety
O God, for your love for us, warm and brooding, which has brought us to birth and has opened our eyes,
We give you thanks.
For your love for us, wild and freeing, which has awakened us to the energy of creation: to the sap that flows, the blood that pulses, and the heart that sings:
We give you thanks.
For your love for us, compassionate and patient, which has carried us through our pain, wept beside us in our sin, and waited with us in our confusion:
We give you thanks.
For your love for us, strong and challenging, which has called us to risk for you, asked for the best in us, and shown us how to serve;
We give you thanks.
O God, we come to celebrate that your Holy Spirit is present deep within us, and at the heart of all life. Forgive us when we forget your gift of love. Awaken us to the love that Christ offers, and draw us into your presence.
—from Iona Abbey Worship Book, 141ff.

Study
Time and again we are reminded that God’s love and fidelity are much wider, deeper, all encompassing than we imagine. When I was a toddler, my mom and dad set the boundaries for me: “No, don’t stick your finger in that light socket!” As a growing child, my boundaries were what mom, dad and grandparents wanted me to do because they said so. Later, I learned that there were right and wrong, yes and no, that teachers expected of me and I began to expect of myself. My world awareness of my wants and needs interacting with others’ wants and needs expanded and expanded. As an adult I try to be aware of how my actions impact others. I do not exist alone. Can I curb this “want” because it might negatively affect someone else? Or, is this need something that is worth fighting for myself and others? My “family” has expanded.

God’s family is even more limitless. Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance; Micah, who lived at the same time as Isaiah, marvels at the reality that God is so faithful to the people with whom God has made a covenant. Jesus wants such a covenant with us. He doesn’t limit his fidelity knowing that family obligations were particular and special in his day. Jesus wants us to be in relationship with him, as precious to him as is beloved mother, brothers and sisters.

Action
As much as family is precious, sometimes families are a pain. Who do you see as a pain right now who should be family? Are you a brother, sister to Jesus?