Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Will Claim My Sheep

August 18, 2010

Wednesday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Thus says the Lord GOD: I swear I am coming against these shepherds. I will claim my sheep from them and put a stop to their shepherding my sheep so that they may no longer pasture themselves. I will save my sheep, that they may no longer be food for their mouths. For thus says the Lord GOD: I myself will look after and tend my sheep. Ezekiel 34:10-11

What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? (Or) am I not free to do as I wish with my own money? Are you envious because I am generous? Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last. Matthew 20:14b-16

Piety
Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me; you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come.

Study
Today’s readings cause us to stop and reflect upon the contrast between the landowner who took extra care to pay his workers generously with the shepherds who failed to properly care for their sheep in the reading from Ezekiel.

No one was ever arrested or faced a union grievance if they paid their workers too much. Usually we hear horror stories of forced labor, unfair labor practices, or poor working conditions. When an employer goes beyond the economic contract, we hear about this extraordinary level of generosity.

Today’s readings include symbolic lessons for us about how to treat each other. We are urged to “strengthen the weak,” “heal the sick,” “bind up the injured,” “bring back the strayed,” and “seek the lost.” Beyond that, they also predict the coming of the Lord, the Good Shepherd, who will come to dwell with us and take care of those whom we neglect.

Action
Taking care of our brothers and sisters takes many forms. Sometimes, it takes the form of advocacy.

Earlier this year, CRS was asking us to support its efforts to get funding through Congress to help with rebuilding Haiti. Our advocacy to relieve the suffering in Haiti and around the world has made an impact.

Congress has passed the FY 2010 Supplemental Appropriations bill. This bill provides critical support for people suffering from emergencies around the world including urgently needed funding to help Haiti recover from January’s devastating earthquake, assist refugees, and support humanitarian efforts. A recent e-mail announcement from CRS explained it this way.

What was the Church’s position? As stated in letters to House and Senate appropriators, CRS and USCCB requested funding for longer-term reconstruction in Haiti and for other global emergency needs, including the International Disaster Assistance, Food Assistance, Migration and Refugee Assistance, the Office of Refugee Resettlement and the Economic Support Fund in Sudan.

What was the outcome of the bill? Although not all of the funding that CRS and USCCB requested was included, the final bill included:
• $2.8 billion for Haiti to provide urgent shelter, health, livelihoods, food aid, and water and sanitation needs to the most vulnerable populations as well as long-term reconstruction.
• A portion of the $1.597 billion we requested for global emergency needs:
o $165 million for migration and refugee assistance which will provide urgent humanitarian assistance and resettlement opportunities for refugees and victims of conflict around the globe; and
o $460 million for International Disaster Assistance to provide safe drinking water, basic health services, shelter, household commodities, seeds, tools, and livelihoods assistance to millions of people.

Why is this issue important to my Catholic faith? As Catholics, we believe that each person is created in the image of God. Aid to poor people – the lost sheep – here and overseas protects human life and dignity by promoting human development and reducing crushing poverty, deadly diseases and malnutrition. This is a significant act of solidarity that has helped provide additional funding to meet the needs of our sisters and brothers everywhere who are suffering.

What else can I do to support our brothers and sisters in need? Join Catholics Confront Global Poverty at www.crs.org.