Thursday, September 30, 2010

At Hand

September 30, 2010
Memorial of Saint Jerome, priest and doctor of the Church

But as for me, I know that my Vindicator lives, and that he will at last stand forth upon the dust; and from my flesh I shall see God; my inmost being is consumed with longing. Whom I myself shall see: my own eyes, not another's, shall behold him. Job 19:25-27

“Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you, cure the sick in it and say to them, 'The kingdom of God is at hand for you.' Whatever town you enter and they do not receive you, go out into the streets and say, 'The dust of your town that clings to our feet, even that we shake off against you.' Yet know this: the kingdom of God is at hand.” Luke 10:8-11

Piety
“The Bible Tells Me So”
By Don Cornell

(How does he know)
Oh, how do I know
(How does he know)
Oh, how do I know
(This is how he knows)

Have faith, hope and charity
That's the way to live successfully
How do I know, the Bible tells me so
(The Bible tells him)

Do good to your enemies
And the Blessed Lord you'll surely please
How do I know, the Bible tells me so
(The Bible tells him)

Don't worry 'bout tomorrow
Just be real good today
The Lord is right beside you
He'll guide you all the way

Have faith, hope and charity
That's the way to live successfully
How do I know, the bible tells me so
(The Bible tells him)

So, have faith, hope and charity
That's the way to live successfully
How do I know, the bible tells me so
(That's how he knows it)

Do good to your enemies
And the Blessed Lord you'll surely please
How do I know, the Bible tells me so
(That's how he knows it)

Don't worry 'bout tomorrow
Just be real good today
The Lord is right beside you
He'll guide you all the way

Oh, the Bible says have faith, hope and charity
That's the way to live successfully
How do I know, (oh, how does he know)
How do I know, (oh, how does he know)
The Bible tells me so

Study
Today’s readings underscore that our Church is founded upon the principals of faith, hope and charity.

In Job, we see his faith shine forth despite all that he has endured. He knows that his God is a living God. Hope is evident in the belief that Job will see the Lord face-to-face and his whole being is consumed with the “holy longing” for that moment when he is in the true presence of God.

In the commissioning of the disciples, Jesus sends them out to perform acts of charity for those who will welcome them. Jesus tells them this mission will not be easy and they will have to overcome many hardships: over work (“the harvest is abundant”), lack of personnel for the mission (“laborer are few”), opposition and hostility (“lambs among wolves”); and more.

The urgency of the commissioning becomes evident as Jesus warns them that attachment to material possessions should be avoided and even customary greetings should not distract from the fulfillment of the task. Job did not have to be reminded of this. His possessions were already “taken back” by the Lord.

Action
Through all the challenges of daily life, the message is built on the same depth of faith we witness in the life of Job: “The Kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Through our faith and good works, we can aspire to be there. However, no matter how much we long for the Kingdom, it is up to us to begin to build that mighty Kingdom, brick-by-holy-brick.

What bricks of faith, hope and love will you put into place today?