Friday, September 10, 2010

Run So as to Win

September 10, 2010

By Melanie Rigney

Friday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time

Do you not know that the runners in the stadium all run in the race, but only one wins the prize? Run so as to win. Every athlete exercises discipline in every way. They do it to win a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

For a sun and shield is the Lord God, bestowing all grace and glory. The Lord withholds no good thing from those who walk without reproach. (Psalms 84:12)

"Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher.” (Luke 6:39-4)

Piety
Lord, I am in this to win it. Help me to remember every step, every mile, is not a practice sprint, but truly a part of the most important marathon I could ever run.

Study
I’ve lost close to a hundred pounds twice in my life. Both times, when I was tantalizingly near the goal… five or ten pounds away… I eased up. I quit monitoring my eating habits. And in both cases, the pounds came back on a lot faster than they’d gone off.

There can be a temptation to stop and call it good in our faith lives too. Can’t we take a little time off from trying to reflect Christ’s love to others, especially to people we really don’t like? Can’t we cut back just a bit on our charitable donations so that we can manage a new car payment?

Paul gives us the answer in today’s first reading; a half-hearted effort, shadowboxing as it were, won’t win the race. We must train constantly, drive ourselves, be disciplined. For while we all can win the race, we can only win it if we’re in it to win it, every minute of every day. Whether we’re teacher or disciple, taking a lap or two on autopilot won’t work. If we ease up too long, we may disqualify ourselves.

And about my struggle with weight? I’ve still got a way to go, but I’m down three dress sizes from this time a year ago. I think before I put anything in my mouth. I contemplate the true reason I want something to eat. I’ve disciplined myself to working out three times a week. This time, I’m in it to win that battle too.

Action
Identify the part of your training that could use a coach? Reach out to someone who can help you with it.