Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The Tormented Were Healed

September 7, 2010

Tuesday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

Why not rather put up with injustice? Why not rather let yourselves be cheated? Instead, you inflict injustice and cheat, and this to brothers. Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the Kingdom of God? (1 Corinthians 6:7-9)

(Jesus) came down with them and stood on a stretch of level ground. A great crowd of his disciples and a large number of the people … came to hear him and to be healed of their diseases; and even those who were tormented by unclean spirits were cured. Everyone in the crowd sought to touch him because power came forth from him and healed them all. (Luke 6:17-19)

Piety
Lord Jesus, Heal those parts of me which are flawed, fearful, angry, paranoid, self-righteous or in other ways fixated on myself and my status in this world. Heal me and help me to be attentive to the needs of others and your will. Draw me ever closer to you today, Lord. Help me not inflict injustice or cheat my brothers and sisters. Help me choose the right thing in my life today.

Study
When I’m in large groups of people, I don’t do very well. Give me one or two good friends or interesting strangers any day. This introversion and, I’ll admit, fear, makes me tongue tied at busy nursing stations, social gatherings, airports and the like. I nearly turn into a proverbial wall flower. Usually the professional role takes over and I certainly function just fine. Some people even are amazed when I tell them how paralyzing it is for me to walk into a room full of people. Be assured this isn’t as difficult in Cursillo events because no one can stand alone very long in a Cursillo group without someone coming over with a hug, smile and a “how ya doin’?”

Whatever our fears, compulsions, obsessions, attitudes are, if they get in the way of our being Christ to others or if they harm others, these are the ills which Jesus can heal. Paul speaks particularly to the Christians of Corinth, warning them of relying on the pagan justice of their culture, but his words ring with conviction today: don’t inflict injustice on others even if you do so unconsciously through fear or the need to be successful. It is God who will judge and determine consequences. Instead, rely on the strength of Jesus who let power go out from him to heal, who was not afraid to heal even in front of powerful critics.

Action
In today’s gospel, Jesus went off alone to pray and when he returned he named the twelve who would become his apostles. In concert with God, ask for healing. Take time alone with Jesus. What in your inmost being, in your life needs healing? Listen today, don’t talk.

Consider attending school of leaders or a Cursillo gathering to which you have not yet gone. Or take advantage of “Just Faith,” “Engaging Spirituality” or another program in your parish/diocese which will allow you to prayerfully reflect on how you act as Christ in your daily doings.