Monday, January 17, 2011

God Remembers His Covenant

January 18, 2010
Tuesday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time

By Beth DeCristofaro

The Lord will remember his covenant for ever. (Psalm 111:5)

(Jesus) said to them, “Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions were hungry? How he went into the house of God when Abiathar was high priest and ate the bread of offering that only the priests could lawfully eat, and shared it with his companions?” Then he said to them, “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. That is why the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.” (Mark 2: 25-28)

Piety
Gracious and generous God, thank you for creating in me a desire for your will. Help me each day to be open to the movement of your Spirit within me. Jesus, as your words and actions showed the great love which your Father holds for you and for me, may my words and actions show your presence to the world. Amen.

Study
People who know everything (or think they do) irritate me. Of course, I think that is because I too often get into the “expert” mode. Many of us speak out of a certainty that is really not based in fact. We “heard” something or believe something which causes us to want to correct others or teach others who, just perhaps, have similar or more complete knowledge than we do.

Scholars, religious leaders and everyday people once believed that people of color were not people and that the earth was flat.

Or take these Pharisees. They think they know what God wants. But Jesus does not take their bait. Rather, he raises the issue to a much higher level – humanity is made by God for God not for following inane rules made by others. Even more importantly, God made a covenant with humans that He honors with constancy beyond the memories, the schemes or the comprehension of humans.

My challenge is that while I am awed and grateful that God loves me so much, truly listening for God’s will means that I might not hear what I have decided is right for me. God wants me to trust what He provides is also my secret heart’s desire. I can’t be the expert if I really give God my trust.

Action
Spend some time during your prayer in the wheat field with Jesus, plucking the grains and nourishing yourself in his presence. Listen for the Word of God’s covenant and love for you.