Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Door Will Be Opened

March 17, 2011
Thursday of the First Week of Lent

Be mindful of us, O Lord. Manifest yourself in the time of our distress and give me courage, King of gods and Ruler of every power. Put in my mouth persuasive words in the presence of the lion, and turn his heart to hatred for our enemy, so that he and those who are in league with him may perish. Save us by your power, and help me, who am alone and have no one but you, O Lord. Esther C:23-25

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” Matthew 7:7-8

Piety
Psalm 42
As the deer longs for streams of water, so my soul longs for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, the living God. When can I go and see the face of God?
My tears have been my food day and night, as they ask daily, "Where is your God?"
Those times I recall as I pour out my soul, When I went in procession with the crowd,
I went with them to the house of God, Amid loud cries of thanksgiving, with the multitude keeping festival.
Why are you downcast, my soul; why do you groan within me?
Wait for God, whom I shall praise again, my savior and my God.
My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you
From the land of the Jordan and Hermon, from the land of Mount Mizar.
Here deep calls to deep in the roar of your torrents.
All your waves and breakers sweep over me.
At dawn may the LORD bestow faithful love that I may sing praise through the night, praise to the God of my life.
I say to God, "My rock, why do you forget me? Why must I go about mourning with the enemy oppressing me?"
It shatters my bones, when my adversaries reproach me.
They say to me daily: "Where is your God?"
Why are you downcast, my soul, why do you groan within me?
Wait for God, whom I shall praise again, my savior and my God.

Study
Perhaps the Rectora for 132nd Women’s Cursillo will not lay prostrate on the ground with her handmaids (team members) ready to face the lions. However, I imagine they might all be praying today – among other things – for the Lord to put “persuasive words” on their lips. I also imagine that they realize that the last ten weeks of Team formation was their time to prepare and tonight, as the candidates arrive for the Three-Day Weekend, that they – like Queen Esther – will turn over leadership to the Lord and the Holy Spirit. Tonight, the doors will be opened for the candidates to begin this next part of their journey with the Lord.

Action
“Do to others whatever you would have them do to you.”

If you are reading this, chances are pretty strong that you have had a Cursillo Three-Day Weekend experience and have now embarked upon your Fourth Day. Remember back to that experience and the importance that the prayers and support from the community expressed in Palanca letters had on you.

Now is another chance for you to “do unto others.” You have many ways to serve this community through prayer and action.

Check out the page http://arlingtoncursillo.org/CursillosSubweb/w132/w132.aspx for Weekend details. There you will find the candidate names for Palanca, details for MaƱanita, the prayer clock, cook crew and closing details. Please do what you are inspired to do by the Holy Spirit in support of these new members for our community.

Note that Psalm 42 quoted above is the basis for the 132 Women’s Weekend theme. Please keep it and the candidates in your prayers this weekend.