Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Lord Called Me from Birth

By Beth DeCristofaro

Hear me, O islands, listen, O distant peoples. The Lord called me from birth; from my mother’s womb he gave me my name. (Isaiah 49:1)

Reclining at table with his disciples, Jesus was deeply troubled and testified, “Amen, amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” … When (Judas) had left, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and he will glorify him at once. (John 13:21, 31-32)

Piety
My God, help me this day to follow your will. May your glory be seen in what I do and say today.

Study
Isaiah 49 is the second of the Servant of the Lord oracles according to the footnotes to the NAB. These verses point to and foreshadow the birth of Jesus. But in these words I also hear foreshadowing of my, and your, call to be servants and children of God, called at the time of our Baptism. In Isaiah, Jesus’ “naming” refers to a special office or renown. Our names, acknowledged at Baptism, identifies us into a community of believers in which I and you have an active role. A community of believers called together by God out of great and abounding love.

The human story we are reading this week in Scripture is a sad, infuriating and unjust one. Betrayal, fear, cruelty, abandonment, annihilation. In Matthew’s Gospel from Sunday, we see Judas bringing the guards and turning Jesus over to them. Unfortunately we continue to see this scenario played out even to our own day. But Jesus, so very rooted and confident in the surety of his loving Father responds differently than most of us are able and removes the tale from being a mere tragedy. How utterly awful and yet always loving the words Jesus spoke to Judas: “Friend, do what you have come for.” (Matthew 27:50). And as he struggled with his own horror of what he was to face: "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 27:39) Jesus believed wholeheartedly that God is glorified when He and today we) submit to the will of God. Redemption and salvation are the result not tragedy.

Can we believe that God calls us all? That God called His own Son whose perfect response gives me hope that my imperfect ones, much like Judas’ or Peter’s or Thomas’ imperfect responses will be accepted? And that I will still be loved without merit but through the grace and mercy of the God who called me before my birth?

Action
Is there someone that has betrayed or abandoned you? Can you find it in you to say “Friend” and offer forgiveness? Is there someone whom you have betrayed or abandoned? Look into Jesus’ eyes and hear him say “Friend” to you. Ask forgiveness. This week of Christ’s passion is an opportunity for us to enter into the sufferings of Jesus who knows suffering intimately, and to seek healing and resurrection within our own souls so that we might answer more fully “yes” to God’s call.