Monday, April 11, 2011

Restore My Strength

April 11, 2011
Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

But Susanna cried aloud: "O eternal God, you know what is hidden and are aware of all things before they come to be: you know that they have testified falsely against me. Here I am about to die, though I have done none of the things with which these wicked men have charged me." The Lord heard her prayer. Daniel 13:42-44

But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. John 8:7-8

Piety
The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;
you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (Psalm 23)

Study
In the readings today, we encounter two women who encounter the Lord. In one case, an innocent woman falsely accused of adultery was spared. In the other, a woman who might have been guilty also was spared by the perfect mercy of Jesus.

While the “heroine” in both stories earns our sympathy, perhaps we should consider who like the accusers we might be. The two elderly men in the first reading knew what was right. Yet they decided to forget all that they had learned. We hear from the prophet Daniel that these men “suppressed their consciences; they would not allow their eyes to look to heaven, and did not keep in mind just judgments.” They elected to choose the path of sin that day and the temporary victory of sin led ultimately to their death.

The accusers in the other story were following their conscience and the law as passed down from Moses. They were justified in condemning sin. However, Jesus, who is the source of life, challenged them and Mosaic Law. “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Thus challenged, each accuser examined his own conscience (I assume they were all men). One by one, they departed until no one was left to condemn her.

Action
Who would you be in this Gospel story? The accused or the accuser?

Twice in the Gospel reading today, Jesus bends down and writes in the sand. John never reveals about what Jesus writes nor what was going through his mind. I imagine that Jesus bent down in meditation and prayer about the accusations pending against Him. Maybe he was praying that innocent blood could always be spared.

Jesus certainly did not have to think about what he was doing. However, he used the silent pause to allow those around him – the accused and the accusers – to think about their actions not just once but twice. If Jesus was going to succeed in having people repent, he could only do so if some of that repentance sprung from their own hearts, minds and souls. Being told to do something – such as drink responsibly, drive safely, stop smoking, wear your seat belt, turn from sin – may help us become aware of a message. However, unless we hear the message and put it in our hearts, it does not translate into behavior.

Take two silent moments today – one in the morning and the other in the afternoon or evening perhaps – and spend some quiet time in prayer and meditation about something in your life which you would like to change. Maybe others have asked you to change something.

What steps can you take to rid yourself of something you need to change? How can you take the first step to become the changed person you want to be?