Monday, May 02, 2011

Believers Will Do My Works

May 3 2011
Feast of Saint Philip and Saint James, Apostles

By Beth DeCristofaro

Philip said to him, “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. (John 14:9-12)

Piety
Father, your truth is made known in your Word.
Guide us to seek the truth of the human person.
Teach us the way to love because you are love.
Jesus, you embody Love and Truth,
Help us to recognize your face in the poor.
Enable us to live out our vocation to bring love and justice to your people.
Holy Spirit, you inspire us to transform our world.
Empower us to seek the common good for all persons.
Give us a spirit of solidarity and make us one human family.
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.
http://www.usccb.org/jphd/caritasinveritate/caritas_in_veritate-individual-guide.pdf

Study
So many times in Scripture someone requests “if only I see…” or “if only (this happens) then I – we – they will believe and be faithful to God.” The rich man looked across the abyss to Father Abraham comforting the beggar Lazarus. Philip asked for proof from Jesus…and more. Daily I too find myself wondering how I will see God today, needing that assurance and that human reminder. My faith underlies all but the path is uncharted each and every day. Jesus here reminds me that The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. And giving me some clear guidance: whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father.

We are asked to do the works that (Jesus) did. Jesus loved through his actions – loved God first and loved his neighbors out of that love. The Church names these actions the Works of Mercy and they are pretty clear guidelines. Today’s feast commemorates Jesus’ companions Philip and James. www.catholic.org Saint of the Day describes James’s teachings, from the Epistle of James, as aimed at believers who were daily tempted by the pagan cultures around them. James sought to promote reliance on their Christian faith and presented a practical guide to Christian living. James was aware of the culture and society in which Christians lived as we must be today. Our response to the larger society is an important way to live the Works of Mercy just as is our everyday, individual actions toward the individuals we meet.

Action
The American Bishops, in conjunction with other Christian leaders and advocacy organizations have issued a statement outlining the importance of keeping the needs of the poor a priority in U. S. budget discussions. Acknowledging the needs for programs which uphold human dignity and provide needed services of the poor, this statement identifies a “circle of protection” which must be drawn and honored as budget battles continue. Read more at http://www.usccb.org/comm/archives/2011/11-085.shtml . Let your representatives in Congress know of your concern for the least among us. As a middle class American what can I share of my abundance through increased taxes, lessened deductions, simpler living? Lend your prayers to this issue of justice.