Monday, May 23, 2011

Make Our Dwelling

May 23, 2011

Monday of the Fifth Week of Easter

Men, why are you doing this? We are of the same nature as you, human beings. We proclaim to you good news that you should turn from these idols to the living God, 'who made heaven and earth and sea and all that is in them.' In past generations he allowed all Gentiles to go their own ways; yet, in bestowing his goodness, he did not leave himself without witness, for he gave you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, and filled you with nourishment and gladness for your hearts." Acts 14:15-17

"Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him." John 14:23

Piety
The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.
In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me;
you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.
Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage.
You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. Psalm 23

Study
According to the notes in the NAB, “in an effort to convince his hearers that the divine power works through his word, Paul cures the cripple. However, the pagan tradition of the occasional appearance of gods among human beings leads the people astray in interpreting the miracle. The incident reveals the cultural difficulties with which the church had to cope.”

The cultural contradictions of Christianity continue to appear in our time. We hear one thing in Church and then head home and read another thing in the newspapers, in the political debates and in the media. These are as fleeting as the pagan worship of the Gentiles and Greeks in Paul’s time.

The enduring message is the Gospel of a consistent ethic supporting life as revealed in the life of Jesus, sacred scriptures and the traditions of the church. If Jesus were to come back today – he missed his appointment on Saturday night that some were expecting, chances are good that he would echo the words spoken by Paul at Lystra: Men, why are you doing this?

Why are you neglecting your children around the world – where thousands die from preventable diseases every day when simple medication and clean water can help them live?

Why are you turning to violence – against each other, against your neighbor and against those from foreign lands – rather than work out your differences?

Why are you spoiling the land which I gifted to you with your pollution, clear cutting the forests, killing the animals, and degrading that over which I appointed you stewards?

Why do you fill your hours and days with these movies, music and television programs when instead you turn from these idols and going out among the people to do good works based upon your faith?

Instead, as we continue on in the last two weeks of our Easter season, Jesus reminds us that there is nothing that we will lack when we just keep his word in our piety, study and action.

Action
Men, why are you doing this?

If not part of your daily practice, consider using the Ignatian Examen today to think about your thoughts, words and actions. Here is a simple six step process that discusses who to do this: http://www.manresa-canada.ca/various.htm#EXAMEN

When we have visitors, we usually straighten up the house and prepare a room in which they can stay. In today’s Gospel, Jesus announces that he will be coming to dwell with us. What is one part of the room of your life that you can straighten up in order to make room for God when he comes to dwell with you?