Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Sheep Hear My Voice

Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter

May 17 2011

By Beth DeCristofaro

There were some Cypriots and Cyrenians among them, however, who came to Antioch and began to speak to the Greeks as well, proclaiming the Lord Jesus. The hand of the Lord was with them and a great number who believed turned to the Lord. (Acts 19:20-21)

(Jesus answered them), "My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand." (John 10:27-28)

Piety

And (I) shall sing, in (my) festive dance: “My home is within you.” (Psalm 87:7)

StudyJesus’ well-known, well-loved image of the Good Shepherd is so rich and full; it calls for a complete transformation of self. He up ends the Pharisees’ identity as Chosen by God and their notion of holiness. He challenges them that they do not know him. In yesterday’s Gospel he overturns his own disciple’s definition of who are His sheep (I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd. John 10:16) He decides the sheepfold and who will abide there.

And he confronts me with my own limited imagination and desires. After all, as a city girl, my notions of what a sheep is (dull, unkempt, a huddler who cannot attempt anything on her own) is hardly an image to which to aspire. But Jesus offers life not mindlessness, eternal life within the joy of God. Jesus promises me that if I hear him – by transforming my limited vision, imagination and egocentric desires – he will know me and I will know him. He will love me so very much that nothing can steal me away from him.

And (I) shall sing, in (my) festive dance:“My home is within you.”


Action
Jesus’ sheep don’t huddle, they share the Word with the world. Read this chapter in John again. What does the image of the Shepherd bring to mind for you? How can you more fully turn yourself over to the Shepherd and embrace his love for you. How can you share that with the world?